You can indeed change the wake word that the Amazon Alexa enabled speakers such as the Echo Dot, respond to when you say it. Current choices are, “Alexa…,” “Amazon…,” “Computer…,” and “Echo…” The wake word is the name you utter when you want the smart speaker to wake up and start listening for a follow-up command / question. It’s how you “get her attention,” so to speak. This setting is not customizable beyond these four choices as of yet.
You might wish to change this word for a particular Echo speaker device if you have more than one in the same home, so that they don’t all respond at once when you call her. This wake word is speaker-specific. So if you have multiple echo speakers close to each other, you could assign each one a different trigger word.
Following are instructions on how to set this watch word for a specific Echo device connected to your Amazon account.
Change Amazon Echo Dot Wake Word Procedure
1. Locate the Alexa app on your tablet. Our copy of the app is located on the third page of the home screen on our iOS based iPad tablet, as shown next.
2. Then, run the Alexa app. You should then get the Alexa app Home screen, similar to the picture displayed next.
3. Tap the Settings option, as highlighted by the pink arrow in the previous picture. This brings up the Settings screen, as shown next.
4. Tap the Echo speaker device whose wake word you wish to modify. We’re going to update the Living Room speaker’s trigger word in this scenario. So, when we tapped that device on the screen above, we got the following screen back.
5. Tap the Wake Word item, pointed at by the pink arrow in the previous picture. You should then see the Change your Wake Word screen, similar to the following.
6. Tap the Wake Word Choices pull down menu item, as pointed at by the pink arrow in the previous picture. That menu then expands, and appears as follows.
7. Tap the wake word choice you wish. In our case, we’re changing our living room speaker to Computer. So, we tap the Computer item on that menu, and then are returned to the Change Your Wake Word screen as follows. But now, the value in the Wake Word Choices pull down combo box is Computer, as shown.
8. Tap the Save button, as highlighted in the previous picture. Then, the Changing Wake Word window pops up briefly, as shown following, and then the Wake Word Changed window appears.
9. Press the Close button. Your Echo speaker should now respond to her new name. Test it out.
10. You’re done!
- Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Setup Help Instructions
- Amazon Echo Best Features List
- How to Delete Alexa History, Voice Recordings
- 2017-03-18: Originally published.