Perhaps you are moving but leaving your Honeywell WiFi thermostat at the old location. Or, you wish to sell the thermostat to someone else at a different location and / or who has a different TCC account. In either case, be sure to take the time to unregister it at the My Total Connect Comfort (TCC) web site, to save time and aggravation for the next person to own it. If you do not unregister it, they’ll have to jump through some painful hoops to add it to their own TCC account. They may even have to pester you to unregister it. So, please take a few moments and unlink the thermostat from your own TCC account before transferring it to a new owner.
Here, we demonstrate how to correctly unregister the Honeywell RTH9580WF Wi-Fi thermostat from the TCC web site, and thus, unlink it from our TCC account.
1. Visit the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Web Site. Direct your web browser to https://www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com/
2. Log in there. Enter your TCC user Id and password on the login page shown above, and then tap / click the red Login button. When we do it, we get the device status screen for our sole thermostat, as shown next.
3. Tap or click the My Locations link, located near the top of the page, close to the left edge, as pointed at by the pink arrow in the previous picture. This brings up a list of all the locations / physical addresses that you’ve set up in your TCC account, as follows.
4. Tap / click the Settings link for the location you want to change. To unregister a particular thermostat, you must edit the location in which the thermostat has previously been registered. In our case, we only have one location; the My Apartment locale. So, it is those settings we’ll be editing here. Activating the Settings link brings up the Edit Location page, as shown next. Note that we’ve “spray painted” the sensitive details about our personal TCC account, in pink “paint”.
5. Tap the Trash Can link for the thermostat you wish to unregister at the location you’re editing. The list of registered thermostats at this location, is found in the right lower quadrant of the page in the Devices Assigned to this Location section. The pink arrow in the previous picture points to the trash can we’re referring to.
6. Tap / click the red Yes button. This action briefly displays the Deleting Thermostat page while it unregisters the selected thermostat, as shown next.
After this de-registration is finished, you are then returned to the Edit My Location page, as shown next. Notice that the thermostat we unregistered is no longer listed in the Devices Assigned to This Location section.
7. Verify that your thermostat has indeed been unregistered, by going to the thermostat itself, and inspecting its home screen. As shown next, when a Honeywell 9000 series Wi-Fi thermostat is not currently registered, it displays a message in a yellow box, that invites you to register the thermostat in order to be able to control it remotely. If you see this message on the thermostat screen, then it has been successfully unregistered, and a new owner will be able to register it in their TCC account, without needless difficulty.
8. You’re done! After de-registration, the thermostat will continue to work correctly. E.g. It will continue regulating the temperature and following its schedule if set. You’ll still be able to control it locally and make adjustments as well. However, the thermostat will no longer be accessible remotely via the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort web site, until it has been registered again.
Caution. Keep in mind that unregistering the thermostat does not reset it to factory default values. All your local settings changes, including programs, schedules, and preferences, will remain intact. Nor does resetting the thermostat unregister it. While resetting may erase any settings customizations, the thermostat will remain linked to its current account until it is explicitly unregistered by the account owner on the TCC web site. So, in order to completely prepare the thermostat for its next owner, we strongly recommend not only unregistering it online, but also resetting it to factory default settings locally.
- Fixing WiFi Problems on Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
- Honeywell RTH9580WF Color Screen Thermostat Review
- Honeywell Smart WiFi Thermostat Manual RTH9580WF
- How to Lock and Unlock Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
- How to Register Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat Online for Remote Control, RTH9580WF
- How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF to Factory Default
- Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat (RTH9580WF) Official Product Page from Honeywell
- User Guide for the Honeywell 9000 Series Color Touchscreen Thermostats from Honeywell
- 2017-03-05: Originally published.