You may decide to sell or give your Google Home smart speaker to another person. or wish to link it to a different Google account, or connect it to a different Wi-Fi network. To unlink this device from its current Google account, to assure that it forgets the Wi-Fi connection information stored within, and to restore it to factory default (fresh out of the box) values, perform the following procedure.
Hard reset may not be necessary. Note that if you’re just trying to correct erratic behavior of the speaker, a complete factory default reset may not be required. So, before completely resetting, try powering off the Google Home unit for fifteen seconds, by disconnecting its DC power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the speaker itself. Wait for a quarter minute, and then power it up again. This often restores proper operation. However, if simple power cycling does not, or if you are not trying to fix a problem but rather, wish to give the unit to someone else, then read on.
Warning. Keep in mind that once reset, you’ll no longer be able to control the speaker from the Google account where you controlled it from before, unless you run through the setup procedure again, and relink the speaker to that account once more, via the Google Home app.
Factory Default Reset Procedure
1. Connect the Google speaker to AC power. After boot completes, go on to step 2.
2. Press and hold the Mic Mute button. Once the light ring finishes spinning and flashing in its multi-colored way, and goes completely dark after booting, press and hold the Microphone Mute button, located on the back near the top of the Google Home speaker, for approximately five seconds.
While holding in the mute button, notice that the ring of lights on the top begin glowing orange. In varying brightness intensities and patterns, these give a visual indication of a countdown to reset that is in progress, as pictured next.
3. Confirm reboot by continuing to hold mute button in. After approximately five seconds of holding in the button, the speaker says in its female voice, “You’re about to completely reset Google Home. To cancel, release the button.” Now is the time to release the Microphone Mute button, if you no longer wish to erase all speaker settings.
4. Keep the mic mute button depressed to continue with the factory default reset. Orange ring goes out. Then turns white in a spinning pattern while factory defaults are being restored, as pictured next.
5. Reboot begins. After about ten seconds, that goes dark, then a system reboot begins, with a multi-colored pattern emerging after the hard reset is complete, as shown next.
6. Reboot finishes. Then, you hear the startup complete music and then the speaker speaks, “Welcome to Google Home. To get started, download the Google Home app on a phone or tablet.”
7. Speaker enters Setup mode. Then, the unit goes into setup mode, which means that the unit is now ready to accept setup directives from the Google Home App. The speaker indicates this by displaying the four white blips in the light ring in a gradually dimming and then brightening pattern, as shown in the next picture.
8. Factory default restoration is complete. You may now feel free to give your Google smart speaker to another without fear that they’ll have access to the settings or other personal information on your Google account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account, perhaps with a different Wi-Fi network or device name.
Once the light ring turns white with the four dots glowing, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The speaker will not function until properly set up and linked to a Google account.
- Changing Wi-Fi Network on Original Google Home Smart Speaker
- Connecting Original Google Home Smart Speaker to Honeywell Smart Thermostats
- Original Google Home Smart Speaker Review
- Original Google Home Speaker Assistant Setup Tips, Procedures, Help
- How to Reboot the Original Google Home Smart Speaker
- How to Set the Sleep Timer on the Original Google Home Smart Speaker
- Original Google Home Wi-Fi Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Pairing Original Google Home Smart Speaker as Bluetooth Speaker
- Unboxing the Original Google Home Voice Activated Speaker
- 2017-01-27: Updated tags list.
- 2016-12-27: First published.