The Amazon Echo Dot talking speakers need a factory reset every now and then. This restores them to out-of-box, factory default parameters. Factory resetting Alexa smart speakers like the Echo Dot models, also fixes many bizarre behaviors they sometimes act out. So here thus, we give Alexa factory reset Echo Dot instructions. We think they’ll be useful because with new versions of these speakers coming out annually, people will likely sell their older models in large numbers. So they’ll want to know how to completely wipe any personal data out of the Echo Dots before they get rid of them. Factory resetting does just that. It prepares the speakers for resale to another person. We cover all three current models of the Alexa Echo Dot speakers in this piece.
Here, we give the reset procedures for all three models of the Echo Dot, with the latest model (the Echo Dot 3rd generation speaker) listed first, then the older generation 2 model, and finally, the oldest generation 1 Echo Dot.
Alexa Factory Reset Echo Dot 3 to Factory Default Settings Instructions
1. Attach Wall Power Cable
First, connect the Dot 3rd Generation speaker to its 12-volt power adapter cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the Power Adapter into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the AlexaEcho Dot to finish booting. It’s done when either the light ring goes all the way dark, or it flashes orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for 5 to 10 Seconds
Depress the Action button until the light ring turns orange, and the smart speaker announces that it is entering setup mode. On this Alexa speaker, the Action button doubles as the Reset button, and is pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Reset?
Your Alexa Echo Dot 3rd Generation speaker is now restored to its factory default settings, and has entered setup mode, as shown next.
Alexa Factory Reset Echo Dot 2 back to Factory Default State Instructions
Power up this speaker before resetting.
1. Connect your Echo Dot 2 to Power
Connect the Amazon Echo Dot 2 to its USB power adapter. The light ring glows blue for a time, and then goes dark. This means good boot up.
2. Press the Echo Dot 2 Factory Reset Button Combo
See our Where is the Amazon Echo Dot Reset Button post, for details on how to find the reset button on the 1st and 2nd gen Echo Dot devices. At any rate, once the light ring goes black, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons. Press these at the same time for the same amount of time.
3. Wait for Alexa Factory Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring again goes black for a brief pause, and then glows orange.
4. Echo Dot 2 Factory Reset Now Done
You have now factory reset your Amazon Echo Dot 2 speaker and restored its factory default settings. It has now entered setup mode.
Alexa Factory Reset Echo Dot 1 back to Factory Default Instructions
1. Power Up the Alexa Echo Dot 1
Connect the 1st Gen Amazon Echo Dot to its USB power supply. The light ring will light up blue for a bit, and then go off once the Dot completes booting.
2. Press the Echo Dot 1 Factory Reset Button
Once the light ring goes black, use a paper clip end to press in and hold the Reset button. Keep pressing for five to ten seconds. Then, let it go when the light ring turns orange, and then blue.
3. Wait for the Alexa Factory Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes black for a brief few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Factory Reset Now Done
You have now restored your Alexa Echo Dot 1st Gen speaker to its factory default state. The speaker enters setup mode after a factory reset.
Set Up Again, or Pack Up
You may now give your Alexa Echo Dot to a loved one or buyer. Don’t fret that they’ll learn your speaker settings in your Alexa Amazon account. Factory reset erases those data from your Amazon Echo Dot. You might decide to set it up once again on your existing account.
Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone runs a fresh setup procedure. The Alexa Echo Dot won’t function until set up and linked to an Amazon account again.
- Factory Reset UE Wonderboom Speaker, How To
- How to Reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker to Factory Default Settings
- Factory Reset Echo Spot Instructions, How to Factory Reset
- Change Echo Dot Wake Word, How To
- How to Factory Reset Google Home Mini Speaker
- Factory Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation Instructions, How To
- Reset Echo Dot Instructions, How to Reset Echo Dot
- Factory Reset Alexa Instructions, Dot, Spot, Echo
- How to Connect Alexa to WiFi Internet
- Factory Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation Instructions
- Echo Dot Factory Reset Instructions
- HP DeskJet 3630 Factory Reset, How To
- Factory Reset Amazon Echo Instructions
- 2019-04-17: Added tags.
- 2018-12-20: First published.