Play Spotify music on your Alexa speaker with the following Amazon Alexa Spotify commands. But first, link your Alexa account to your Spotify Premium account. For a detailed explanation of how to do that, see our post Spotify Setup Instructions on Amazon Echo Alexa Devices.
Control your Spotify music playing with your voice! E.g. Ask Alexa to play a song, an album, or a Spotify playlist. These speakers offer a complete set of Spotify voice commands.
Amazon Alexa Spotify Commands for Navigating Around Spotify Content
Whether playing albums, songs, playlists, or genres, you control playback with the following Alexa commands.
- Set speaker volume to zero. But playback progress continues. “Alexa mute.”
- Set speaker volume back to what it was prior to the last mute command issued. “Alexa unmute.”
- Stop playback by saying, “Alexa pause.”
- Resume playback again from where you left off when you issued the last pause command. “Alexa resume.”
- “Alexa play Spotify.” Starts Spotify again from where you were playing the last time you listened.
- Stop Spotify playback. “Alexa stop.”
Amazon Alexa Spotify Commands to Play a Particular Song by a Particular Artist
Got a favorite song by a specific artist? Ask Alexa to play that song from Spotify. The requests below all result in Alexa playing the song Fly Like an Eagle by the Steve Miller Band.
You may omit the artist name if no other song title, artist name, or playlist has that name. But you must say the artist if Spotify has more than one item with that name. Otherwise, Alexa may play the wrong song. In the Fly Like an Eagle case though, she plays the Steve Miller version. This in spite of versions from other artists such as Seal.
Spotify Song Title by an Artist Request Examples
- Play a song. Ask for title and artist. “Alexa play Fly Like an Eagle by the Steve Miller Band on Spotify.”
- Or, say it another way. “Alexa play the Steve Miller Band, Fly Like an Eagle on Spotify.”
- Finally, if the song is unique, ask for the title alone. “Alexa play Fly Like an Eagle on Spotify.”
Amazon Alexa Spotify Commands to Play a Whole Album
Ask for a certain album by a certain artist from Spotify. The complete album then plays, with the tracks in the correct order. Further, it plays without any inter-song gaps.
- Ask for album title by artist. “Alexa play Fly Like an Eagle album by Steve Miller Band on Spotify.”
- Or, reverse the title and artist. “Alexa play Steve Miller Band, Fly Like an Eagle album on Spotify.”
- Finally, ask for an album specifically. Alexa play the album Fly Like an Eagle, by the Steve Miller Band on Spotify.
Skip around within the album by asking either of the following,
- Play the prior track to the current one. “Alexa Previous“
- Or, hear the track after the currently playing one. “Alexa Next”
Amazon Alexa Spotify Commands to Play a Group of Songs by an Artist
Got a favorite artist or group? Ask Alexa to play all the songs by that artist that Spotify offers. The next examples show this. Here, the following requests all result in Alexa playing the songs in Spotify by the Steve Miller Band.
If the artist name is also a song title, the Alexa may play the wrong song. E.g. The name Middle of the Road, could refer to a 1970s pop group. But it’s also the title of a popular 1984 song by the Pretenders. You get one or the other, depending on what you’ve asked for previously. So, eliminate the ambiguity by adding the “songs by” phrase to the above request, as in the next example.
Spotify Play Artist Command Examples
- The shortest way to ask to play songs by a certain artist. “Alexa play Steve Miller Band on Spotify.”
- Or, you can say it another way. “Alexa play songs by Steve Miller Band on Spotify.”
- “Alexa play songs by Andy Gibb on Spotify.”
- “Alexa Play Andy Gibb on Spotify.”
Amazon Alexa Spotify Commands to Play a Playlist
If you’ve created playlists in your Spotify account, just ask Alexa to play them. Or, to play public Spotify playlists, again, simply ask for them by name, as follows.
Spotify Playlist Requests by Playlist Name
These Alexa Spotify commands play the recordings in the Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep playlist.
- The personal way to ask. “Alexa play my Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep playlist on Spotify.”
- Or, put the Spotify service first. “Alexa play Spotify playlist Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.”
- Less personal way to ask. Eliminate the word, ‘my.’ “Alexa play Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep playlist on Spotify.”
- Or, bundle Spotify with the playlist name. “Alexa play the Spotify Teen Party playlist.”
- Use stop words freely, like ‘a’, ‘the’, ‘to’, and so on. “Alexa play the Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify.”
Amazon Alexa Spotify Commands to Play a Genre
Also, ask for the genre you wish. Then, Alexa plays songs from that genre. Beware though. No telling what music you’ll get, unless you’ve already tried this already. Further, what you hear frequently changes, as Spotify adds new music. So, prepare to hear a unique blend of music in the requested genre.
Spotify Play Genre Request Examples
- Ask for some jazz. “Alexa play some jazz on Spotify.”
- Or, how about some pop music. “Alexa play popular music on Spotify.”
- But then again, perhaps the Country genre is your favorite. “Alexa play country music on Spotify.”
- Maybe you’re in the mood to dance. “Alexa play dance music on Spotify.”
- Finally, perhaps you just don’t care what kind of music you want. Any kind and mix up will do. “Alexa play 90s music on Spotify.”
Finally, you get full access to your Spotify content through Alexa. Namely, these voice commands provide control of all your Spotify media. Plus, you need no computer once you set up your speakers and link your accounts. That is, you play your Spotify music on an Alexa speaker, without using a computer at all once set up. Thus, the Alexa speakers definitely enhance, yet also make simple, your Spotify listening. The music is yours to hear, just for the asking.
- How to Play Spotify Music on the Amazon Echo from HowToGeek
- Spotify on Amazon speakers from Spotify.com
- 2018-03-02: Revised the title and content.
- 2018-02-24: Originally published.