The Anker Dual Port 24W USB Smart Wall Charger Adapter is among the cheapest USB wall adapters we’ve seen. Yet it offers compatibility with USB 3.0 devices and maximum charging speeds, thoroughly isolated ports, foldable 120 volt plug prongs, and reliable operation. At under $11 per unit, this AC USB adapter can charge even the highest demand tablet computers, and does so as quickly, or even more quickly than the stock chargers that come with these devices. It’s got some awesome heft, and this home charger can replace just about any stock USB charger, without sacrificing performance. It runs cool to lukewarm, is nearly completely silent, is easy to find in the dark with its blue pilot lamp, and offers PowerIQ technology on each port for the most rapid charging of any connected mobile device. Yet it costs way less than half the price of many stock USB adapters, often shipped with Apple, Samsung, and Amazon mobile devices. We’ve used ours mostly every day over the past few weeks, and it quickly charges our Kindle Fire, Apple iPad Air, and Samsung tablets.
Benefits, Pros, Features, and Advantages
- High current, but cheap price. Can be purchased for less than $12 online.
- Visible pilot lamp, near the USB ports, that, though not really bright enough to double as a night light, is plenty bright for finding its ports in dark rooms.
- Foldable plug. The AC prongs fold into slots in the rugged white plastic case, protecting them from bending and damage, and making for simple storage of the charger.
- Silent operation. No buzzing, humming, whistling, and only very small frying sounds are heard while this is plugged in and charging a device.
- Low RFI and EMI. Little, if any, interference to AM radio was observed.
- Just right size. The case is large enough to grasp easily, but not so big that it covers the second receptacle in a 2-receptacle outlet. Compact design, for sure, but nor is the iClever charger too small to for handling with certainty.
- Portable. The unit can be easily stowed in a suitcase among clothes, or in a briefcase without worry of damaging the mains prongs, which retract into the charger when moving it.
- Light weight yet rugged construction. Holding the Anker smart charger in your hand inspires confidence that it won’t easily break when dropped or stepped on.
- PowerIQ and VoltageBoost technologies. Each USB port senses the optimum charging current for each device you plug in, and adjusts itself according, to provide that ideal value. So, no matter what device you connect to the IC-TC02, you’ll get the best charge in the shortest time.
- Ports are electrically equal. Since both ports are capable of delivering the full 2.4 Amp USB current (12 watts apiece), you needn’t fret over which port is the correct one to use when powering particular mobile devices. See next item for more details.
- High current USB on both ports simultaneously. Provides up to 2.4 amps of USB charging current; the current maximum. We often charge our Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro SM-T900 (very large tablet computer) with this dual port, full USB power accessory. We’ve also successfully charged iPads, iPods, numerous smart phones, and Kindle Fire HDX tablets with this nightlight / charger combo adapter.
- Good power output quality. Voltage regulation appears quite good over the entire range of drawn currents. Holds very steady at 5 volts output.
- Cool operation. This Anker smart USB charger gets a little warm while charging. But never does it get too hot to touch. When charging smaller mobile devices such as iPhones and portable media players, this power adapter barely warms.
- Dual ports. You get two high-current USB ports.
- Charges two maximum-current USB devices at once. Two full-current USB device may be charged at once, via the dual USB ports.
- Switch mode power supply technology, which makes this unit very compact and lightweight, yet capable of producing the hefty current needed to power today’s most demanding USB mobile devices.
- Over-current and over-voltage protection.
- Plugs into standard wall outlet. Input is 100-240 volts AC at 50-60Hz. Output is 5 volts DC, at 4.8 amps max.
- Limited but generous 18-month warranty. Unusually long warranty for devices like this.
Problems, Cons, Disadvantages, and Limitations
- No charge cables included. Indeed, not all USB charge cables will carry the maximum current available via this 2-port charger. You must use cords designated as high-current charge or high-current charge / data / sync, to get the quickest charging. So, given that this current level is at present, a kind of USB specialty, it would be helpful if the adapter included a high current USB cable, say a micro USB or lightning charge cable. However, given the low price of this charger, we don’t mind providing our own cables.
- Indoor use only.
- Easily misplaced. Small and portable enough, that if you’re not careful, you might lose it.
- Hard to unfold prongs. Sometimes, extending the 120-volt prongs can be challenging. Perhaps the prong ends need to protrude from the case a little more when retracted, for easier grasping.
Charging devices nearly every night with the Anker dual USB charger, has never left us down. Devices always charged quickly and fully, and lasted the full time per charge, as documented in their owners manuals. We’re thrilled with how well this wall charger performs, while costing so little. Thanks to this, we never order stock charger replacements for our mobile devices anymore. This is a well-designed and well-constructed USB appliance, and so, we’d rate it at 98 out of 100.
- GE Jasco 2.1 Amp USB Charger, Y14 Review
- iClever Dual Port 24W USB Wall Charger Adapter IC-TC02 Review
- 2016-02-06: Originally published.