In this post, we cover how to change temperature setting on Honeywell thermostat, model RTH9580WF. Now most Honeywell digital t-stats nowadays allow you to change their current temperatures right from the Home screen. They display the Home screen by default. So unless the t-stat is locked, you can adjust the current temp simply by touching the temp controls there. If your t-stat screen goes blank when it hasn’t been touched in a bit, just tap the screen area. Then the Home screen will display, similar to our RTH9580WF WiFi t-stat shown next.
How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Locally
Press the UP arrow on the right side of the Home screen to increase the temperature. Press the DOWN arrow to reduce it. Each press changes the current temperature by one degree.
How to Handle a Locked Thermostat Screen
Now you might not be able to change the current temperature setting if your thermostat screen is locked. You might see the following screen in that case.
If your thermostat is locked, then you must do either of the following to change its temperature setting.
- Unlock it.
- Access it via the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort web site or app.
See our How to Lock and Unlock Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF post for how to unlock your smart Honeywell thermostat.
Changing Thermostat Temperature Temporarily or Permanently
Now your t-stat likely follows a program schedule. So when you touch the temp arrows, it prompts to switch to either permanent or temporary hold. Se this in the next picture. While ours was following a schedule, we locally changed its temperature to 69 degrees. Then we got the following Hold Switch screen.
Here we could either press the Switch to Permanent Hold button, which places the t-stat into permanent hold. Or we could just press the green Done button, which puts the t-stat into temporary hold, until 10:00 PM in this case, as shown in the HOLD UNTIL field.
If you opt for temporary hold, you can set the time you’d like the programmable thermostat to resume following its programmed schedule, by pressing the UP and DOWN arrows in the HOLD UNTIL field area on the screen above, until the desired ending time for the temporary hold is displayed. By default, the RTH9580WF switches back to schedule following at the next scheduled temp change time. In our program, that is 10:00 PM. E.g. The temp of 69 degrees we just changed to, stays in effect thus, until ten PM. Then, the system applies the temperature in the programmed schedule at that time. Then, the t-stat loses our temporary hold setting.
You could also opt to keep your changed temperature setting in effect in perpetuity, by switching to permanent hold. To do that, press the Switch to Permanent Hold button for this, and then you should then see the following screen.
From either the permanent hold or temporary hold versions of this screen, you could cancel the hold altogether by pressing the Cancel Hold button. Doing so would return your thermostat to Following Schedule mode, and thus, undo the temperature setting you just changed. The scheduled temperature for the current time would then take effect again. You must choose some kind of hold to keep your temperature change in effect.
To opt for permanent hold, press the green Done button. This takes you back to the Home screen, where you can see that the new, changed temperature is in effect, and that the t-tat is in fact, in a permanent holding pattern, as shown in the next photo.
How to Change Temperature Setting on Honeywell Thermostat Remotely
If you have set up an account on the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort web site, and have registered your thermostat there, you can change its current temperature setting remotely, on that web site.
Visit the TCC web site, and log in with your previously set up TCC account. You’ll see the TCC home screen then. Now you may have more than one t-stat on your account. If so, then choose the one whose temperature setting you want to change.
Ours looks like this. We’re going to change the temp on our unit called THERMOSTAT, in our apartment group.
Press the UP arrow in the center of the thermostat control screen pictured above, to increase the temp, and press the DOWN arrow to lower it. Each press changes the remote t-stat’s temperature setting by one degree.
Then once the setting you wish appears, press the red Submit button. This sends the change to your t-stat and brings it into effect. Keep in mind thought that this change may not happen right away. E.g. They apply the new setting within a minute or two. Doesn’t matter whether your t-stat is locked locally; you can still change the temperature from the web site or app, without unlocking.
Note that the whole talk about permanent and temporary hold above, also applies when you change the temp remotely. But we’re not going to include the screen shots from the TCC website here, unless readers ask for them.
You’ve now successfully changed your Honeywell thermostat temperature setting.
Related Posts to How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature
- Honeywell Thermostat Not Reaching Set Temperature Troubleshooting
- Change WiFi on Google Home Instructions, Classic Version
- How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Google Home
- Change Name on JBL Xtreme Speaker, How to Rename
- Honeywell Smart WiFi Thermostat Manual RTH9580WF
- Change WiFi on Instant Pot Smart WiFi Instructions
- How to Register Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH9580WF Online
- 7 Day Programmable Thermostat Reviews
- Change Wireless Network on Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH8580WF
- Solving Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Connection Problems
- How to Change COM Port Number on USB Modem, Windows 10
- Change WiFi Network on Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
- How to Clear Settings on Honeywell Thermostat
- Honeywell Thermostat Wiring Color Code
- Echo Spot Change WiFi Instructions
- Set Temperature Range Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
- How to Clear Schedule on Honeywell Thermostat
- Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF, How To
- Change Time and Day on Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat, How To
- How to Calibrate Honeywell Thermostat Temperature, RTH9580WF
- Unregister Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF Instructions
- How to Turn Off Hold on Honeywell Thermostat
- Setting Windows 10 Voice, Text to Speech
- Bookport Plus Change WiFi Instructions
- Dial Thermostat Pictures
- Programmable Thermostat Pros and Cons
- Negative Effects of Multitasking like Hard Disk Thrashing
- Honeywell Touchscreen Thermostat RTH7600D Review
- 2019-05-19: Tuned the targeting for ‘How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature’ and added tags.
- 2019-02-15: First released.