Clearing out all customization settings, resetting the WiFi network, and restoring the Honeywell RTH8580WF WiFi Thermostat to factory default condition is accomplished with the procedures below.
This procedure is recommended when troubleshooting digital programmable thermostats, to rule out the possibility that corrupted settings are causing a thermostat not working situation. Keep in mind however, that after doing this, the thermostat forgets any programmed settings, so you’ll have to enter your home WiFi network information again. Also, any customized program schedules you’ve entered are erased, and the thermostat returns to the useful, but not necessarily desirable, daily heating and cooling schedules. So again, you may need to adjust them again according to your specific requirements, if you have any.
Prior to Restoration to Factory Default Settings
Before restoring to factory default settings, round up your thermostat’s manual hat shipped with it. Or, you can find it online at Honeywell’s web site.
Write down the current daily program schedule currently stored in the thermostat if you’ve changed it from the default schedule.
Run down through the Functions and Settings pages (numbered parameter list) in the thermostat and write down any parameters that you’ve changed that tailor the thermostat to your specific heating / cooling equipment. These include filter-change reminder settings, WiFi network connection information, System Type, Thermostat Name, et al.
How to Restore Factory Default Operation
Once you’ve recorded all the relevant information from the thermostat, you can now safely return RTH8580WF to factory default state, as follows.
1. Tap the SYSTEM button on the touchscreen, as shown above at the left side of the screen. The screen changes to resemble the following.
3. Press the first set of UP-DOWN arrows, to advance to the Restore Original Settings option (parameter 0710). The screen should look as follows before moving on to the next step.
4. Next, change the value of the 0710 parameter from 0 to 1, by pressing the UP / DOWN arrows at the far right of the touchscreen, until the screen looks like the next screen shot.
WARNING: Executing the following step will erase all customizations in the thermostat. We suggest not proceeding until you feel confident that you can set it up again according to your specific furnace / HVAC system details. Get help from a climate control technician if you’re not sure.
5. If you’ve completely recorded all relevant information from the thermostat as discussed above in the Prior to Restoring Factory Default Settings section, and your sure you still wish to proceed, then press the DONE button in the lower left corner of the screen, shown in the last picture. This initiates the factory default setting restoration operation. The screen goes black a couple of times, and after a few seconds, you will then be prompted to set the date and time, as shown next.
6. After several seconds, the thermostat prompts you to enter the correct date, as follows.
7. Use the UP and DOWN arrows beside the year, month, and day to adjust these to their correct settings. When the correct date is shown, press the DONE button. The time setting screen is then shown as follows.
8. Touch the UP / DOWN arrows beside the time display, until the correct time is shown, as, in our case, displayed next.
9. When the correct time is shown, press the DONE button. The thermostat then displays the main status and menu screen as shown next. The default system state is OFF, and the default 7-day program is now in effect. From here, you can adjust the current set point temperature, enter your WiFi information (described here), and set up any configuration customizations you desire. Have fun.
- Change Wireless Network on Honeywell Wifi Thermostat RTH8580WF
- Honeywell RTH7600D 7-Day Programmable Thermostat Review
- Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH8580WF Manual
- Honeywell WiFi Wireless Programmable Thermostat RTH8580WF Review
- How to Restart a Honeywell Thermostat
- Setting Temperature Differential on Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH8580WF
- Additional Info on Wifi Thermostats from Honeywell
- Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Solutions web site
- Where to buy the Honeywell RTH8580WF Thermostat
- What is a Programmable Thermostat? on Wikipedia
- 2017-01-15: Simplified this article’s title to: How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF to Factory Default
- 2016-02-09: Originally published.