You may wish to factory reset Amazon Echo smart speakers. Why? Because maybe you’d like to sell your old one. Or perhaps you just want to connect your Echo to a new Amazon account, or to different WiFi internet. So, with those tasks in mind, this post details resetting the Amazon Echo line of smart speakers. For that, do the steps next. We do not cover Echo Dots, Spots, or Plus speakers here. Find posts for some of these in the Related Posts section below.
Resetting unlinks the Amazon Echofrom its current Alexa account. Reset also assures that the Echo forgets its current Wi-Fi settings.
Warning: After the reset, your Amazon Echo speaker will not work until set up again.
Also, before factory resetting, try power cycling, as follows.
- Power off the unit for fifteen seconds. Do this by unplugging its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the unit itself.
- Wait for a quarter minute.
- Then plug it back in.
- Wait for the speaker to boot.
This often restores proper function without the headaches of a full reset.
But if power cycling does not fix the speaker, then read on for the proper factory reset procedure. A hard reset often restores correct working to the Amazon Echos.
Factory Reset Amazon Echo Gen 2 Speaker
1. Plug Echo 2 Speaker into AC Power
Connect the Echo Gen 2 to its AC power supply. The light ring then lights blue for a time, and then goes out. When it goes dark, boot up has finished.
The next picture shows this 2nd generation Amazon Echo speaker standing by, ready for reset.
2. Press the Amazon Echo Gen 2 Speaker Reset Button Combo
See our Where is the Reset Button on Amazon Generation 2 Echo Smart Speaker Located post, for details on how to find the reset button on this unit. We show where these buttons are in the next picture.
Wait for the light ring to darken completely. Then, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons at the same time for five to ten seconds.
3. Wait for the Gen 2 Echo Factory Reset to Wrap Up
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring darkens for perhaps six seconds roughly. Then the ring glows orange. Details next.
Your Amazon Echo Gen 2 smart speaker is now factory reset. After reset, it enters setup mode, as shown by the circling orange-yellow blip on the light ring.
4. All RE-set!
Factory Reset Amazon Echo Generation 1 Smart Speaker Instructions
1. Attach Power Cable
Connect the Amazon Echo speaker to its included power supply adapter.
Wait for speaker to power up. Speaker is done booting when the light ring goes out or turns purple. Purple means that it failed to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Press Factory Reset Button
The reset button is located on the bottom (underside) of the Echo speaker.
Use a pen or straightened safety pin to press and hold the reset button. Press it in for five to ten seconds, until the light ring changes color.
3. Release the Factory Reset Button
Once the ring flashes, the reset operation is now in progress. So you need no longer hold in the reset button.
4. Wait for Factory Reset Process to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
5. What Happens After Factory Reset
Your Amazon Echo Gen 1 tower speaker is restored to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
Set Up Again, or Pack Up
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo 2 to someone else. Do not fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. They will not. Factory reset erased those prior values from the Echo 2 speaker.
Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit stays in setup mode until someone runs the setup routine. The Echo 2 will not work until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
- Factory Reset Google Mini Speaker Instructions
- Echo Dot Factory Reset Instructions
- Factory Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation Instructions, How To
- HP DeskJet 3630 Factory Reset, How To
- Alexa Factory Reset Echo Dot Instructions
- Factory Reset Echo Spot Instructions, How to Factory Reset
- How to Factory Reset Google Home Original Speaker
- Echo Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker Factory Reset Instructions
- Factory Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation Instructions
- Echo Sub Reset Instructions, How to Reset Alexa Woofer
- Factory Reset UE Wonderboom Speaker, How To
- 2019-04-29: Added tags. Shortened sentences.
- 2019-01-08: First published.