You may wish to do a master factory reset Echo Dot 2nd generation speaker. Why? Because perhaps you wish to sell your old Alexa Gen 2 Dot to a friend. Or you just want to connect the 2nd Gen Dot to a different Amazon account, or to a new WiFi network. So, to that end, in order to reset your 2nd generation Echo Dot to factory default condition, follow the directions next.
Resetting unlinks the speaker from its current Amazon Alexa account, and assures that it forgets its current Wi-Fi connection information. So be warned that after the reset, your Alexa Echo Dot speaker will not work until it’s been properly set up again.
Factory Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation Instructions
Note that factory reset of the Echo Dot 1 and Echo Dot 2 devices is essentially the same procedure; just the location of the reset button on each is different.
1. Connect to AC Power
Connect the Echo Dot to its USB power adapter. The light ring will illuminate blue for a time, and then go out, indicating that boot up has completed.
2. Press the Echo Dot Reset Button
See our Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button post, for more details on how to find the reset button on the 1st and 2nd generation Echo Dot devices. But we’ll give you a hint in the next picture.
With the Dot 2 powered up, press and hold the Mic Off and Volume Down buttons until the factory reset starts. Release them once the light ring changes patterns.
3. Wait for Hard Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Factory Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation Now Finished
Your Echo Dot speaker has now been reset to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
5. Set Up Again, or Pack Up you Echo Dot Speaker
You may now disconnect, package up, and bestow your Echo Dot 2nd generation smart speaker to someone else without worry that they’ll access your Amazon account Alexa settings. Those prior values are now erased from the your Echo Dot. Or, you can set the Dot 2 up once again on your current account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit stays in Setup until someone runs the Alexa setup procedure again. Note that the Echo Dot 2nd generation Alexa will not function until rightly set up and linked once again to an Amazon account.
6. Factory Reset Done!
- Chromecast Audio Factory Reset Instructions
- Factory Reset UE Wonderboom Speaker, How To
- Change Echo Dot Wake Word, How To
- How to Factory Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation Speaker Instructions
- Factory Reset Alexa Instructions, Dot, Spot, Echo
- JBL Clip 3 Reset Instructions, How to Hard Factory Reset JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Factory Reset Amazon Echo Instructions
- Use Echo Dot as Bluetooth Speaker, How To
- Echo Sub Reset Instructions, How to Reset Alexa Woofer
- HP DeskJet 3630 Factory Reset, How To
- Factory Reset Google Mini Speaker Instructions
- Unpacking Echo Dot 2nd Gen Speaker
- 2019-05-04: Tuned the targeting for ‘Factory Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation’, and added tags.
- 2019-01-11: First posted.