Here, we demo how to factory reset Echo Dot 3, this 3rd generation talking speaker. Factory resetting restores the 3rd Gen smart speaker back to default, fresh-from-the-factory operation. So why would anyone want to do this? You might want to sell the Dot 3 on eBay or give it to another for Christmas. Resetting also allows you to link the third generation Dot to a different Amazon account. Or set it up on a different wireless network. In all these situations, factory resetting works best to clear no longer valid account data from the Dot 3. Factory Resetting gets the speaker ready to use on a new account and / or WiFi network.
To detach the Echo Dot 3rd Generation from its current Amazon account, run the routine below.
Now if you’re just trying to get rid of unusual behavior of the Echo Dot 3, you may not need a complete factory reset. So, before resetting, try powering off the Dot 3 for fifteen seconds. Turn it off by unplugging its power cord either from the AC outlet, or from the Dot itself. Then, wait ten to fifteen seconds. Then plug it back in. Rebooting often brings back correct operation. But if not, read on for the factory reset procedure to follow.
Once reset, you’ll no longer have control of the Echo Dot 3 from the account where you controlled it from before. To control it again through the previous account, run through the setup procedure again.
Factory Reset Echo Dot 3 Instructions, How To
1. Connect the Power Cable
First, connect the Echo Dot 3rd Generation speaker to its 12-volt external power cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the Adapter End into a Working AC Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the Echo Dot 3 to complete booting. That’s done when either the light ring goes dark, or it starts flashing orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for Five Seconds
Hold in the Action button until the light ring turns orange, and the Dot 3 says that it is entering Setup mode. On this 3rd gen of the Echo Dot line, the Action button also works as the Factory Reset button. Find it pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Factory Reset?
Your Echo Dot 3rd Generation smart speaker has now been returned to its factory state, and has entered setup mode, as shown next.
Pack it Up or Set it Up Again
You may now give your Echo Dot to another without worry that they’ll have access to the account information and settings on your Amazon account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account. If selling though, we recommend that you pack the speaker in its original box if you still have it. This maximizes the chances for safest transport through mail or other delivery service, as shown in the next picture.
- Alexa Factory Reset Echo Dot Instructions
- Factory Reset Echo Spot Instructions, How to Factory Reset
- Restart Echo Dot Instructions, How to Restart Echo Dots
- Echo Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker Factory Reset Instructions
- Factory Reset Amazon Echo Instructions
- Echo Dot Factory Reset Instructions
- Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings, How To
- Echo Dot 3 Setup Instructions for Amazon Alexa 3rd Generation Dot
- Factory Reset Alexa Instructions, Dot, Spot, Echo
- Echo Sub Reset Instructions, How to Reset Alexa Woofer
- What is Amazon Echo? on Wikipedia
- All-new Echo Dot (3rd Generation) – Smart speaker with Alexa, on Amazon.com
- 2019-04-15: Shortened post URL and tweaked the targeting.
- 2018-12-22: First published.