The GE Jasco 2.1 Amp USB Charger, model Y14, is one of the cheapest high-current USB wall adapters we’ve encountered. At under $14 per copy, this AC USB adapter can charge even the highest demand tablet computers, and does so about as quickly as the stock chargers that come with these devices. It’s got some real muscle, and this home charger can replace just about any stock charger, without sacrificing performance. Yet it often costs only about half the price of a stock adapter. We’ve used ours mostly every day over the past year or so, and it charges now, just as quickly as it did when we first bought it. It seems therefore, to be quite electronically reliable.
Benefits, Pros, Features, and Advantages
- Can be purchased for less than $14.
- LED illuminated faceplate, where the USB ports are located, that’s bright enough to double as a blue nightlight. Makes this charger easy to find in dark locations, such as behind a desk or underneath a table.
- Foldable plug. The AC prongs fold into slots in the rugged white plastic case, protecting them from bending and damage, and making for simple storage of the charger.
- Silent operation. No buzzing, humming, whistling, and only very small frying sounds are heard while this is plugged in and charging a device.
- Little, if any, interference to AM radio was observed.
- The case is large enough to grasp easily, but not so big that it covers the second receptacle in a 2-receptacle outlet. Compact design, for sure.
- Provides up to 2.1 amps of USB charging current. We often charge our Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro SM-T900 (very large tablet computer) with the Y-14. We’ve also successfully charged iPads, iPods, numerous smart phones, and Kindle Fire HDX tablets with this nightlight / charger combo adapter.
- Voltage regulation appears quite good over the entire range of drawn currents. Holds very steady at 5 volts output.
- The Y-14 gets somewhat warm while charging. But never does it get too hot to handle.
- Dual ports. You get one high current and one normal current USB port.
- Features switching power supply technology, which makes this unit very compact and light, yet capable of delivering the hefty current needed to power today’s most demanding USB mobile devices.
- Input is 100-240 volts AC 60Hz, 0.3 amps. Output is 5 volts DC, at 2.1 amps max.
- RoHS compliant.
- 90-day limited warranty.
Problems, Cons, Disadvantages, and Limitations
- The sum total USB current is 2.1 amps, spread across the two USB ports. If you’re charging a 2.1 amp device in one port, there’ll be little current left for any device plugged into the other. In this way, the ports “interfere” with each other. Not completely isolated from one another.
- Only charges one high-current USB device at a time, even though it has two USB charge ports.
- No charge cables included.
- Indoor use only.
Charging devices nearly every night with the GE Y14 dual USB charger has never left us disappointed. Devices always charged fully, and lasted the full time per charge, as documented in their users guides. We’re pleased with how well this wall charger performs, and yet it costs so little. Thanks to this unit, we never order stock charger replacements for our mobile devices anymore. This is a well-designed and well-constructed USB appliance, and so, we’d rate it at 96 out of 100.
- 2017-02-04: Revised the tags list.
- 2015-11-30: Added appropriate tags.
- 2015-10-09: Added appropriate tags and tweaked the text.
- 2014-12-11: Adjusted ad placement and revised content.
- 2014-11-02: Originally published this post.