Here we answer the question: How to hard reset Google Home Mini speaker? You might hard reset your Mini to get it ready for sale or re gifting. Or, you want to connect it to a new Google account. Or you wish to log it into a new Wi-Fi network. Whatever your mission, this post will help you achieve it. To see how to hard reset Google Home Mini, follow the directions below.
A Google Home Mini Hard Reset May Not Be Needed
Note that if you want to repair bizarre speaker behavior, you may not have to run a complete hard reset. So, before hard resetting, try powering off the Mini for fifteen seconds. Turn it off by unplugging its AC power cable. Then, wait fifteen seconds. Finally, turn it on again. Cycling the power to the Mini often restores proper speaker function.
But if simple power cycling does not fix the problem, read on. Or if you wish not to fix a problem but to give the unit away or sell it, then again, read on.
Warning. Know that once hard reset, you cannot work the Mini from the Google account where you had it connected before. To control the speaker again, run through the setup routine. In that routine, relink the speaker to that account once again, via the Google Home app. Or, connect it to another Google account. Either way, the choice is yours.
How to Hard Reset Google Home Mini: The Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Connect the Google Home Mini Speaker to AC Power
After boot completes, go on to step 2.
2. Press and Hold the Hard Reset Button
Find this button in the orange area on the bottom of the Mini Google Home, near the power cord USB plug.
One light on the top then lights up yellow, as shown next. Then, the Google assistant warns you that you’re about to hard reset the device. It announces that if you wish to bail out of the hard reset, release the reset button now. But keep holding the button in to perform the hard reset.
How to Hard Reset Google Home Mini: Reset in Progress
The first yellow light then comes on. Next, one more turns on every few seconds until the entire row of four lights up. Hard reset begins shortly after, as long as you keep the hard reset button firmly depressed.
Do not power off the Mini during the reset. Why? Because doing so could render it permanently damaged (bricked).
3. Release the Hard Reset Button
Let go of the button when the unit emits a short chime chord sound and the yellow lights go dark.
4. The Hard Reset Starts
Hard reset begins once the lights go out and the unit stays dark for several seconds, as shown next.
After a pause, the white lights come back on. They show a scanning marquee pattern for three or five seconds, as shown next.
How to Hard Reset Google Home Mini: Rebooting after Reset
5. The speaker Then Does a Reboot
After some seconds, the Mini lights again goes dark as the reset finishes up. Then, the reboot after that hard reset starts, as shown next.
After several to ten seconds, the lights come back on, colored dim gray. They show a sort of scanning pattern, as shown next. This means that a reboot after the reset is in progress.
Several seconds into the reboot, the lights turn multi-colored as shown next.
6. Reboot Finishes
Then, you hear the startup complete music and then the speaker speaks, “Welcome to Google Home. To get started, download the Google Home app on a phone or tablet.”
7. The Google Home Mini Then Enters Setup Mode
This means that the speaker can now accept setup commands from the Google Home App. The speaker shows this by displaying the four white blips across its top. These lights show a dimming and then brightening pattern. See this in the next picture.
8. Hard Reset Now Done
You may now give your Google Home Mini to another. You need not fear that they’ll access your settings or other personal info. Or, set it up again on your existing account, perhaps with a different Wi-Fi network or device name.
The light row then turns white with the four dots glowing. Then, the unit stays in setup mode until you run the setup procedure. Please note that the speaker will not function until fully set up and linked to a Google account.
Related Posts to Hard Reset Google Home Mini
- Hard Reset Alexa Echo Dot Instructions
- JBL Charge 3 Hard Reset Instructions
- Hard Reset JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker Instructions
- How to Hard Reset Google Home Smart Speaker
- Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings, How To Hard Reset
- How to Reset Comcast Remote Xfinity XR2 U2 Hard, Factory Restore to Default Settings
- JBL Go Hard Factory Reset Instructions for JBL Go and Go 2 Speakers
- JBL Flip 5 Hard Reset Instructions
Other Posts About the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Set Up Spotify on Google Home Mini
- Google Home Mini Power Adapter Specs
- How to Connect Google Home Mini to Bluetooth Speaker
- Google Home Mini Charger Specs for Google Mini Speaker
- How to Set Sleep Timer on Google Home Mini Speaker
- Unlink Google Home from Pandora, How To
- Change WiFi on Google Home Mini, How To Steps
- How to Reset Google Mini Speaker
- Google Home Mini Spotify Commands List
- How to Turn Up Volume on Google Home Mini Speaker
- Clearing Google Assistant Voice Recordings History Instructions
- How to Control Google Home Mini Volume
- AC Power Adapter for Google Home Mini
- How to Turn Down Google Home Mini Volume
- Google Home Mini Bluetooth Pairing Instructions
- How to Pause Google Home Mini
- How to Resume Google Home Mini
- Lower Volume on Google Home Mini, How To
- Restart Google Home Mini Instructions
- Link Spotify to Google Home Mini Instructions
- Google Home Mini Pictures Gallery
- Setting Up Google Home Mini Instructions
- Google Home Mini Unboxing, Step by Step
- How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini
- Does Google Home Mini Have Bluetooth Yet?
- Google Home Mini Volume Control, How to Set
- How to Use Google Home Mini as Bluetooth Speaker
- Reboot Google Home Mini, How to Instructions
- How to Adjust Bass and Treble on Google Home Mini
- Unlink Spotify from Google Home Mini, How To
References for Hard Reset Google Home Mini
- 2020-05-10: Updated the Other Posts and Related Post sections.
- 2019-05-06: Tweaked the tags list. Tuned the targeting for ‘Hard Reset Google Home Mini’.
- 2019-01-15: First published.