The Honeywell Waiting for Update RTH9580WF thermostat message can show up on Honeywell smart t-stats, like the RTH9580WF in this example. These messages, though not always errors, can show up when the t-stat has just come online after installing it, or a power outage. These can also occur if the Wi-Fi network to which the t-stat connects, loses internet access.
Honeywell Waiting for Update RTH9580WF Thermostat Message, What it Means, RTH9580WF
Waiting for Update… simply means that the RTH9580WF t-stat has not yet received outdoor temp and humidity data from the internet. It either has not received the update since the last power-up, or when it expected to receive it. The t-stat normally gets outdoor readings updates a few times per hour at least. But you may see these messages if an update has not come in on time.
How to Clear / Fix the Honeywell Waiting for Update RTH9580WF Thermostat Message
Honeywell provides no way to clear the Waiting for Update… message manually. Rebooting the t-stat does not clear it either.
Now when the t-stat has good internet access, this message normally goes away on its own within a few minutes. We waited under two minutes on our RTH9580WF t-stat for the Waiting for Update message to clear. It then showed the outdoor temp and humidity as seen in the next screenshot, pointed at by the green arrow.
Note that the Waiting for Update message does not interfere with normal t-stat operation. That is, the t-stat will still accurately control the indoor temp in spite of this message. But if the message occurs because your t-stat has lost internet access, this could mean that you will not be able to control the t-stat remotely, until you resolve any internet problems.
To fix lost internet connectivity, check your other devices for proper operation. Try rebooting your router and / or WiFi access points. Check that any firewalls in your network that feed the t-stat aren’t blocking the wrong ports.
Another thought is that your internet could be fine. But the Honeywell servers that support this t-stat could be down. Again, this sort of outage you can do little about. except to let Honeywell know of the problem. Then, all you can do is wait for them to resolve.
- Honeywell Thermostat Waiting for Equipment Message, How to Clear on the RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
- How to Calibrate Honeywell Thermostat Temperature RTH9580WF
- Honeywell Thermostat Says Wait, Fix, Repair, Solve
- Honeywell Thermostat Not Cooling Down, How to Fix
- Set Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Limits on RTH9580WF WiFi Thermostat, How To
- Troubleshooting Honeywell Thermostat WiFi Problems RTH9580WF
- RTH9580WF: Information about “Waiting for update” for Outside Temperature, from Thermostat Forum
- Help needed with Honeywell 9580 Wifi Thermostat, from Houzz
- 2018-06-07: First published.