You may control the volume of the sound output on the Alexa smart speaker by Amazon, in multiple ways. You can ask the speaker to raise and lower the volume, or you may rotate the outer ring at the top of the speaker. Details follow.
How to voice command the Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1 Voice Activated speaker to Adjust its Volume Without Touching It.
We’ve set the wake word on our Echo generation 1 speaker to Alexa. So, the volume setting voice commands below use that word to get her attention.
On this speaker, the volume range is zero to ten. When commanding her with your voice, use whole numbers between zero and ten.
- Alexa, raise the volume. [Increases the volume by ten percent.]
- Alexa, lower the volume. [Lowers the volume by ten percent.]
- Alexa, set volume 5. [Adjusts the volume to fifty percent of maximum.]
- Alexa, set volume 1. [Sets the volume to ten percent of maximum.]
- Alexa, set volume 10. [Sets the volume to maximum output.]
- Alexa, set the volume to 0. [Sets the volume to minimum.]
How to Adjust the Volume with the Ring on the Amazon Echo Gen 1 Intelligent Speaker
You may also adjust the volume by rotating the volume ring, located at the top outer edge of this Alexa voice activated speaker, as pointed at by the purple arrow in the picture above.
Turning the ring left decreases the volume in roughly three percent increments, until zero volume (mute) is reached. Rotating the ring to the right raises the volume to maximum (full), again, in roughly three percent increments.
The light pattern around the outer edge of the top of the speaker increases and decreases in size, according to increases and decreases in volume adjustment, as shown next. The light pattern shows, proportionately, how loud the volume is set. A completely lighted circle indicates full volume. A circle with just one light lit, means the volume is set to minimum. In the picture below, the light ring indicates that the volume is currently set at approximately two thirds of maximum. The more the light ring is lit, the louder the volume.
You can also adjust the volume of the alarms, notifications, and timers via the Alexa app on your mobile device. This volume setting is separate and independent of the media and Alexa voice volume setting we described above.
- How to Connect Amazon Alexa Echo Smart Speaker to Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Force a Firmware Update on the Amazon Echo Alexa Smart Speakers
- How to Reboot Amazon Echo Speaker
- How to Reset Amazon Echo Gen 1 Speaker Back to Factory Default State
- How to Set the Sleep Timer on Original Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1 Smart Speaker
- Original Amazon Echo Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Spotify Alexa Commands for Controlling Spotify from Echo, Tap, and Dot Speakers
- Where is the Reset Button on the Original Amazon Echo Smart Speaker
- 2017-12-11: Added more links to the Related Posts section.
- 2017-11-24: Originally published.