Technically speaking, there’s currently no way to force an immediate firmware update on any of the Alexa Echo smart speakers from Amazon. Further, these speakers typically update quickly by themselves as new firmware is released, within a couple hours, or at worst, a couple days. But you may want to update your device immediately, particularly when you know that a pending update is available, and that revision contains features that you’re chomping at the bit to try out.
These speakers, including all the Dots, Echos, will generally update themselves under the following conditions: 1) A firmware revision is available, and 2) when they’ve processed no requests and performed no activities, for at least thirty minutes. This method likely does not work on the Tap, as its microphone is normally muted (you must press the actions button to get Alexa’s attention on the Tap).
You can take advantage of these conditions, and force a sort of scheduling of an update as follows.
1. Power up your speaker(s) and make sure they’ve successfully connected to the internet.
2. Tap the Mic Off button on your speaker, to mute the speaker’s microphones. This assures that the speaker will neither hear nor respond to any requests. The light ring turns red on your speaker, indicating that the microphone is definitely muted.
3. Wait at least thirty minutes. The firmware update may occur after thirty minutes of your speaker being muted. However, it can take as long as a day or more. So patience is necessary throughout this operation. If you become impatient and unmute your speaker before it has updated, the update request is then cancelled.
4. Observe firmware update has occurred. After a software update, the Amazon Alexa smart speakers will reboot themselves. You’ll see the light ring running through its pretty colored patterns during reboot, as pictured next, and the speaker may emit several crackles and pops during firmware installation.
- AC Power Adapter Specs for the Original Amazon Echo Generation 1 Alexa Smart Speaker
- AC Power Adapter Specs for the Amazon Echo Generation 2 Alexa Smart Speaker
- Amazon Echo Best Features List
- Amazon Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- How to Adjust Volume on Amazon Echo 1st Gen Smart Speaker
- How to Reset Amazon Echo Gen 1 Speaker Back to Factory Default State
- How to Reset the Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker to Factory Default State
- How to Set the Sleep Timer on Original Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1 Smart Speaker
- How to Set the Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker
- Spotify Alexa Commands for Controlling Spotify from Echo, Tap, and Dot Speakers
- Unboxing and Connecting The Amazon Echo Generation 2 Smart Speaker
- Where is the Reset Button on the Original Amazon Echo Smart Speaker
- Where is the Reset Button on Amazon Generation 2 Echo Smart Speaker Located
- 2017-12-12: Originally published.