You may wish to reboot your Harman Kardon Cortana Invoke smart speaker if it exhibits unstable performance, becomes non responsive to voice requests, emits strange sounds, breaks up, chirps or squeaks unexpectedly, or suffers other unusual symptoms. Always try a speaker restart first (described here), as this often corrects numerous problems, and avoids the unnecessary action of hard resetting your Invoke.
Neither the speaker itself, nor the Cortana app that controls it, currently has a specific button or link for restarting this device. Therefore, the easiest way to reboot this smart speaker is to unplug it from power, wait a short time, and then reconnect it, as follows.
1. First, simply disconnect it from AC power by unplugging its wall adapter as shown next.
2. Then wait ten seconds, with the speaker completely shut down.
3. Finally, plug it back into AC power. The speaker then cold-boots, clearing out any errant program entries and behaviors in its memory. A single blip of light circles around the touch pad area during restart, as shown in the next picture. This can turn off and then reappear a couple times during reboot.
The speaker has finished rebooting when all light on the touch pad goes out.
Restarting the speaker in this way usually returns the unit to correct operation, and we suspect that as subsequent firmware updates to the speaker are applied, any periodic need to reboot it will fade and eventually disappear altogether.
- Demo of Unboxing the Microsoft Invoke Cortana Smart Speaker
- How to Adjust Volume on Microsoft Invoke Voice Activated Speaker
- How to Change Wi-Fi Network on Harman Kardon Invoke Microsoft Cortana Smart Speaker
- How to Pair Harman Kardon Microsoft Invoke Cortana Speaker as a Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Set Up New Harman Kardon Invoke Cortana Smart Speaker
- Where is Reset Button on Harman Kardon Microsoft Invoke Smart Speaker
- 2017-12-05: Originally published.