You may wish to factory reset the Alexa Echo Gen 2 smart speaker because you wish to sell your old one to another. Or perhaps you just want to connect it to a different Amazon account, or to a different wireless network. So, with those objectives in mind, in order to reset your smart speaker to its factory default state, perform the following steps.
Resetting unlinks the Echo 2 from its current Amazon Alexa account, and assures that it forgets its current Wi-Fi connection information. So be warned that after the reset, your 2nd generation Echo speaker will not work until it’s been properly set up again.
How to Reset Amazon Alexa Echo 2 Smart Speaker
1. Connect to power. Connect the Echo Dot to its USB power adapter. The light ring will illuminate blue for a time, and then go out, indicating that boot up has completed.
The next picture shows this Echo speaker powered up and ready to be reset.
2. Press the Echo 2 reset button combo. See our Where is the Reset Button on Amazon Generation 2 Echo Smart Speaker Located post, for details on how to find the reset button on this unit. The location of these buttons is shown in the next picture.
Anyway, once the light ring goes completely dark, as shown above, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for five to ten seconds.
3. Wait for hard reset to finish. After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for some seconds, and then turns orange-yellow, as shown next.
Your Echo Gen 2 smart speaker has now been reset to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode, as indicated by the circling orange-yellow blip on the speaker’s light ring.
4. Set up again, or pack up. You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo 2 to someone else without fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. Those prior values have now been erased from this smart speaker.
Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo Dot will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
5. You’re all RE-set! You’re done.
- 2017-12-07: Originally published.