The smaller Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Generation 2 smart speakers now provide a useful sleep timer function that you can command with your voice!
Ask Alexa to play an internet radio station, podcast, flash briefing, or other streaming service. Then, once the broadcast is playing, ask her play for only as long as you wish, by setting a sleep timer. And of course, be sure to substitute the wake word your Dot 2 is set to answer to, in place of the Alexa wake word in the voice commands listed below.
Here are some sample commands that we verified to work with our Echo Dot 2 assistant speaker.
- Alexa, set sleep timer five minutes. [The Echo Dot 2 plays for five minutes, then stops.]
- Alexa, set sleep timer thirty minutes. [She plays for thirty minutes then goes silent.]
- Alexa, set sleep timer one hour. [Sets a sixty minute sleep timer, plays for an hour, and then goes silent.]
- Alexa, create sleep timer ninety minutes. [Sets a sleep timer for 90 minutes, then the speaker goes quiet.]
- Alexa, cancel sleep timer. [Cancels sleep timer if one is pending.]
When you specify a sleep time with one of the above commands, this speaker answers back as follows: “Okay. I will stop playing in [specified time].” That is, if you say something like, “Alexa, set sleep timer ten minutes,” to your Dot 2, she replies, “Okay. I will stop playing in ten minutes.”
Note that you cannot set a sleep timer unless it is playing some media.
When setting a sleep timer, you can use verbs like Set and Create in your voice commands. When removing a sleep timer, use verbs like Cancel. If you ask to cancel a sleep timer when none have been set, Alexa will respond, “There’s no sleep timer set.”
Compact, yet greatly helpful!
- AC Power Adapter Specs for Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 2 Smart Speaker
- Amazon Alexa Gen 2 Echo Dot Smart Speaker Setup Help Instructions
- Changing WiFi Network on Amazon Echo Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker
- Amazon Echo Dot Smart Speaker Review, Gen 2
- Echo Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker Factory Reset Instructions
- How to Reboot Amazon Echo Gen 2 Dot Smart Speaker
- Amazon Gen 2 Dot Bluetooth Speaker Reset Instructions
- How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot Back to Factory Default State
- Unboxing and Connecting Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Gen Smart Speaker
- How to Reset Echo Dot 2 Back to Factory Default State
- Pairing Amazon Echo Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker as Bluetooth Speaker
- Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button
- 9 Alexa Tips and Tricks, from Computerworld.com
- Turn your Amazon Echo Dot into the Ultimate Nightstand Accessory. from Cnet
2017-12-10: Originally published.