The generation 2 Amazon Alexa Echo smart speakers now provide a sleep timer function that you can set and cancel with your voice!
You use it by asking Alexa to play an internet radio station, podcast, flash briefing, or some other streaming service. Then, once the media is playing, you ask her play the stream for only as long as you say by setting a sleep timer. And of course, be sure to substitute the wake word your speaker is set to respond to, in place of the Alexa wake word in the voice commands listed below.
Here are some sample commands that we verified to work with our gen 2 Echo speaker.
- Alexa, set sleep timer five minutes. [The speaker plays for five minutes, then stops.]
- Alexa, set sleep timer thirty minutes. [The Echo 2 plays for thirty minutes then goes silent.]
- Alexa, set sleep timer one hour. [She sets a sixty minute sleep timer, plays for an hour, and then goes silent.]
- Alexa, create sleep timer ninety minutes. [Sets a sleep timer for 90 minutes, then the speaker goes quiet.]
- Alexa, cancel sleep timer. [Cancels sleep timer if one is pending.]
When setting a sleep timer, you can use verbs like Set and Create in your voice commands. When removing a sleep timer, use verbs like Cancel. If you ask to cancel a sleep timer when none have been set, Alexa will respond, “There’s no sleep timer set.”
When you specify a sleep time with one of the above commands, the Echo Generation 2 smart speaker will answer back as follows: “Okay. I will stop playing in [specified time].” That is, if you say something like, “Alexa, set sleep timer ten minutes,” to your speaker, she replies, “Okay. I will stop playing in ten minutes.”
Note that you cannot set a sleep timer on the Echo unless it is playing some media.
Short and nice!
- Amazon Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Do You Need Amazon Prime to Use Echo Smart Speakers
- How to Connect Amazon Alexa Echo Smart Speaker to Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Reset the Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker to Factory Default State
- Unboxing and Connecting The Amazon Echo Generation 2 Smart Speaker
- Where is the Reset Button on Amazon Generation 2 Echo Smart Speaker Located
- 2017-12-10: Fixed some typos.
- 2017-12-10: Originally published.