The original (first) Amazon Alexa Generation One Echo smart speakers now provide a sleep timer function that you can set and cancel with your voice!
The Alexa sleep timer works by asking Alexa to play an internet radio station, podcast, flash briefing, or some other streaming service. Then, once the media is streaming, you ask her play the stream for only as long as you indicate, by setting a sleep timer. And of course, be sure to substitute the wake word your speaker is set to respond to, in place of the Alexa wake word in the voice commands listed below.
Here are some sample commands that we verified to work with the original Echo.
- Alexa, set sleep timer one hour. [She sets a sixty minute sleep timer, plays for an hour, and then goes silent.]
- Alexa, set sleep timer five minutes. [The Echo 1 plays for five minutes, then stops.]
- Alexa, set sleep timer thirty minutes. [The Echo 1 plays for thirty minutes then goes silent.]
- Alexa, create sleep timer ninety minutes. [Sets a sleep timer for 90 minutes, then the speaker goes quiet.]
- Alexa, cancel sleep timer. [Cancels sleep timer if one is pending.]
When setting a sleep timer, you can use verbs like Set and Create in your voice commands on the Gen 1 Echo. When removing a sleep timer, use the Cancel verb. If you ask to cancel a sleep timer when none have been set, Alexa will respond, “There’s no sleep timer set.”
When you specify a sleep time with one of the above commands, the Echo 1 will answer back as follows: “Okay. I will stop playing in [specified time].” That is, if you say, “Alexa, set sleep timer ten minutes,” to your speaker, she replies, “Okay. I will stop playing in ten minutes.”
Note that you cannot set a sleep timer on the Echo 1 unless it is playing some media.
Short and nice!
- Amazon Echo Best Features List
- Do You Need Amazon Prime to Use Echo Smart Speakers
- How to Adjust Volume on Amazon Echo 1st Gen Smart Speaker
- Restart Amazon Echo Instructions, How to Restart Amazon Echo Speaker
- How to Connect Amazon Alexa Echo Smart Speaker to Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Connect Alexa to WiFi Instructions
- How to Reboot Amazon Echo Speaker
- How to Reset Amazon Echo Gen 1 Speaker Back to Factory Default State
- Original Amazon Echo Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Spotify Alexa Commands for Controlling Spotify from Echo, Tap, and Dot Speakers
- Where is the Reset Button on the Original Amazon Echo Smart Speaker
- Sleep and Relaxation Sounds Skill for Amazon Alexa Echo
- About Timers & Alarms, from Amazon Alexa Help
- 2017-12-11: Originally published.