There are many ways for how to adjust volume on Google Home Mini smart speaker. These depend on the app(s) you’re streaming from mainly. But the speaker itself has two touch pads as well, for volume control on its left and right edges. Plus, you can set volume with the native Google Home app. Finally, the Mini also sets loudness via voice commands.
Below, we show these basic ways, which you can do regardless of the app you’re streaming from. But we do not delve into app-specific volume setting of the output device. Why? Because with so many apps that send audio, this post would quickly grow too big. So, we’ll stick here with the basic volume setting methods here.
How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini
You can adjust the volume without using any apps, doing it this way, as follows.
1. Orient the speaker such that the USB power cable is at the top (twelve o’clock),
as shown next.
2. Set volume by tapping the left and right edges (nine o’clock and three o’clock)
to adjust speaker volume. The next pic shows the locations of the touch pad zones. Find them in the same straight line formed by the four activity lights.
Tap the left edge of the speaker (nine o’clock) to lower the volume by ten percent. Tap the right edge of the speaker (three o’clock) to raise the volume by ten percent.
If you need finer volume setting, use the Google Home app to adjust speaker volume, described below.
How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini Speaker with Voice Commands
Google Home understands two scales for volume adjustment: 0-10 and 0-100 percent. If you want to say a percent to set the volume, then add the word ‘percent’ to your command. Example commands follow.
- Hey Google, set volume 10 percent.
- Hey Google, set volume 76 percent.
- Okay Google, set volume 100 percent.
If you say the percent label, then 0 means lowest volume (muted) and 100 means max (full) volume. But if you omit the percent label, then the volume range is between 0 and 10.
- Okay Google, set volume 5. [Adjusts the volume to half, 50 percent of maximum.]
- Hey Google, set volume 0. [Sets the volume to minimum.]
- Okay Google, set volume 10. [Sets the volume to maximum, 100 percent]
There are also shortcut commands for minimum and maximum volume setting, as in:
- Okay Google, mute. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
- Hey Google, max. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Okay Google, set volume half. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Hey Google, volume full. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Okay Google, volume half. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Hey Google, volume minimum. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini with the Google Home App
In the Google Home app, which must have Wi-Fi access to your speaker, you can set the speaker volume. How? By finding the speaker in the available Google devices list in the app. Then, move the volume slider left and right, until you hit the volume level you wish.
Note that you can’t adjust speaker volume unless it is actually streaming / playing something. That is, you won’t see the volume control in the Google Home app unless streaming when you look.
To set the volume from within the Google Home app, follow the procedure listed next.
1. Run the Google Home app
on your mobile device. You should see its Home screen, as shown next.
2. Tap the main menu ‘hamburger’ control
pointed at by the purple arrow in the previous picture. This brings up the main menu, as shown next.
3. Tap the Devices Menu Item
See this, pointed to by the purple arrow in the last picture.
You then see the Devices screen, as exemplified in the picture shown in the next step.
4. On the Devices Screen, Scroll to Find your Currently Playing Google Home Mini Speaker
See this as shown next.
The speaker is currently streaming when you see a small speaker icon (volume setting link). Find this in the lower right edge of its device card, as pointed at by the purple arrow.
But this button does not show when not streaming. Thus, you won’t be able to adjust the volume like this, when the Mini is playing nothing. So, be sure to stream something to your Mini before setting volume this way.
5. Tap the Speaker Volume Button
See the speaker volume button in the last picture.
Tapping it then brings up the volume control screen, as pictured next.
6. Touch and Drag the Volume Slider Button
Drag these left and right around the circle, until you hear your preferred volume.
The slider control provides a more granular adjustment than the touch pads on the Mini itself. That is, you can raise and lower the volume in much finer increments. This is much finer than the ten-percent bumps you get when tapping the touch pads on the Mini.
Note that moving the volume slider around takes effect immediately. No need to press any Submit buttons to force the new setting into effect.
How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini Speaker on Bluetooth Source Device
If using your Mini as a Bluetooth speaker, you can adjust volume with the controls on the paired device. In this demo, we’re playing YouTube content on our iPad Air, and streaming to the Mini via Bluetooth connection.
1. Pair your Google Home Mini as a Bluetooth speaker.
See our post here, that demonstrates how to pair.
2. Begin playing a music source,
such as an internet radio station, a song from Spotify, or an Audible book. In this demonstration, we streamed YouTube audio to our Google Home Mini, as shown next.
3. Use your source mobile device’s volume control buttons to adjust the volume of the Bluetooth speaker,
as shown next.
Note the purpled arrowed volume setter square with a speaker inside of it in the last picture.
Also note that the volume change you hear lags by a second or so. Why? Because of the latency (delay) of the commands going across the Bluetooth airwaves.
Finally, you can cast to the Google Home devices like the Mini too. Similar to Bluetooth, but done over Wi-Fi instead. Yet like in this Bluetooth example, you can usually change the volume of the speaker. How? By adjusting it in the casting app.
But also, again, we’re not covering here how to set volume for individual apps. So, we leave this detail as an exercise for the reader.
Related Posts to How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, Turn Volume Up and Down
- Adjusting Volume on JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker, Turn Volume Up and Down
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Charge 4 BT Speaker
Other Posts About the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Set Up Spotify on Google Home Mini
- Google Home Mini Power Adapter Specs
- How to Connect Google Home Mini to Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Adjust Bass and Treble on Google Home Mini
- Unlink Spotify from Google Home Mini, How To
References for How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini
- 2020-05-10: Added the Other Posts About… section.
- 2019-05-01: Tuned the topic focus, shortened post URL, added tags, and removed the ad code.
- 2017-12-03: Originally published.