There are a few ways for how to adjust volume on JBL Clip 3 Bluetooth speaker. These depend on the app(s) you’re playing from mostly. Many apps provide volume adjustment controls. But this JBL speaker itself has two buttons for volume control as well. Find these (the + and -) buttons on its top side. Note though, that you cannot set volume with the JBL Connect app.
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
You can adjust the volume without using any apps, doing it this way, as follows.
1. Lay Out the Speaker such that the Button Controls Face You
See the correct speaker position shown next. There are three buttons in this single row. These include the Volume DOWN (-), Play / Pause, and Volume UP (+) buttons.
2. Set Volume by Pressing the – and + Buttons
The last pic shows the locations of the volume buttons as pointed at by the green arrows.
Press the (-) button at the left top of the speaker to lower volume. Press the (+) button at the right top to raise volume.
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Clip 3 Bluetooth Speaker with Siri Voice Commands on iOS
When you pair the JBL Clip 3 with an iOS device like an iPhone, iPod, or iPad, you can change the volume by saying commands to Siri. However, you first need to get Siri’s attention. Wake her up by pressing and holding the home button on your device until you hear the Siri prompt sound. Then, you can set the loudness of the content playing on the Clip 3 as follows. Speak to your device; not the speaker when saying these commands.
Next is an example of giving Siri a voice command to set the volume to half (50 percent).
Next is an example of Siri responding to a voice command to set the volume to FULL (100 percent).
Siri currently understands one scale for volume adjustment: 0-100 percent. Example commands follow. Say these after you’ve pressed the Play / Pause to wake her up.
- Set volume 0 [muted].
- Volume 0.
- Set volume 10 [Ten percent].
- Set volume 10 percent.
- Volume 10.
- Set volume 76 percent.
- Volume 76.
- Set volume 100 [One hundred percent, full volume].
There are also shortcut commands for minimum and maximum volume setting, as in:
- Mute. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
- Half volume. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Set volume full. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Set volume max. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Volume half. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Volume minimum. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Clip 3 Bluetooth Speaker on Source Bluetooth Device
You can also adjust volume with the controls on the paired device as well. Further, you can do the same with paired Android devices.
However, we found that volume adjustments on the speaker do not change the volume setting on our Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Phone Pro Android phone. For this mobile phone, the volume buttons on the speaker seemed to adjust the volume of the amplifiers on the speaker, but not the phone volume. We heard distortion in the speaker, with its volume set to half while the phone volume was at full (100 percent). So, please beware of this so you can avoid “over driving” the JBL Clip 3 with your Android device.
In this demo though, we’re playing YouTube content on our iPad Air tablet, and streaming to the JBL Clip 3 via the Bluetooth connection.
1. Pair your JBL Clip 3
2. Begin Playing a Music Source
Start streaming an internet radio station, a song from youTube or Spotify, or an Audible book. In this demo, we streamed YouTube audio to our Clip 3 JBL Bluetooth speaker, as shown next.
3. Use your Source Mobile Device’s Volume Control Buttons to Adjust the Volume of the JBL Clip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
See this done in the next picture.
Note the purpled arrowed volume setter square with a speaker inside of it in the last picture.
Also note that the volume change you hear on the JBL Clip 3 lags by a half-second or so. Why? Because of the latency (delay) of the commands going across the Bluetooth airwaves to the speaker.
Again, we’re not covering here how to set volume for specific apps. So, we leave figuring out how to do this an exercise for you.
- How to Pair JBL Clip 3 with Google Home Speakers, Original, Max, and Mini
- JBL Clip 3 Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Picture Gallery
- How to Turn Up Volume on Google Home Mini Speaker
- How to Charge JBL Clip 3 Wireless Bluetooth Speakers
- JBL Flip 4 Portable Speaker Picture Gallery
- JBL Clip Ultra-portable Bluetooth Speakers with Carabiner, on JBL.com
- Clip/Clip+ Review: Small JBL Speaker, Great Sound, from Tom’s Guide
- 2018-06-04: First published.