There are a few ways for how to adjust volume on JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth speaker. These depend on the app(s) you’re playing from mostly. Many apps provide volume adjustment controls. But this JBL speaker itself has two buttons for volume control as well. Find these (the + and -) buttons on its top side. Note though, that you cannot set volume with the JBL Connect app.
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
You can adjust the volume without using any apps, doing it this way, as follows.
1. Sit the Speaker on its NFC Antenna End, such that the Button Controls Face You
See the correct speaker position shown next. There are five buttons, arranged in a circle, as shown next. These include the Bluetooth ON / OFF, Volume DOWN (-), Volume UP (+), Speakerphone, and the Power button in the center.
2. Set Volume by Pressing the – and + Buttons
The last pic shows the locations of the volume buttons.
Press the (-) button at the left center of the control panel to lower the volume. Tap the (+) button at the right center to raise the volume.
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker with Siri Voice Commands on iOS
The JBL Flip 2 speaker allows you to activate Siri by pressing the Play / Pause button near the top of the speaker, when paired with an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch). This feature will not work though, until you change the function of the speaker’s Play / Pause button in the JBL Connect app. We’ll cover how to do that in another post, upcoming. Press that button, and you get the screen on your iOS device shown in the last picture.
Next is an example of giving Siri a voice command to set the volume to half (50 percent).
At any rate, once you’ve changed the Play / Pause button into a Siri control button, briefly press that button to get Siri’s attention. Then ask her to raise and lower the volume as follows.
Next is an example of Siri responding to a voice command to set the volume to FULL (100 percent).
Siri currently understands one scale for volume adjustment: 0-100 percent. Example commands follow. Say these after you’ve pressed the Play / Pause to wake her up.
- Set volume 0 [muted].
- Volume 0.
- Set volume 10 [Ten percent].
- Set volume 10 percent.
- Volume 10.
- Set volume 76 percent.
- Volume 76.
- Set volume 100 [One hundred percent, full volume].
There are also shortcut commands for minimum and maximum volume setting, as in:
- Mute. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
- Half volume. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Set volume full. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Set volume max. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Volume half. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Volume minimum. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker Using Bluetooth Source Device
You can adjust volume with the controls on the paired device as well.
Further, you can do the same with paired Android devices as well. However, we found that volume adjustments on the speaker do not change the volume setting on our Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Phone Pro. For this phone, the volume buttons on the speaker seemed to adjust the volume of the amplifiers on the speaker itself, and not the phone volume. We discovered distortion in the speaker, with its volume set to half while the phone volume was at full (100 percent). So, just be aware of this so you can avoid “over driving” the JBL Flip 2 with your Android device.
In this demo though, we’re playing YouTube content on our iPad Air, and streaming to the JBL Flip 2 via the Bluetooth connection.
1. Pair your JBL Flip 2
We’ll add posts presently that show how to pair the JBL Flip 2 with a source Bluetooth device.
2. Begin Playing a Music Source
Start streaming an internet radio station, a song from youTube or Spotify, or an Audible book. In this demo, we streamed YouTube audio to our Flip 2 JBL Bluetooth speaker, as shown next.
3. Use your Source Mobile Device’s Volume Control Buttons to Adjust the Volume of the JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker
See this done in the next picture.
Note the purpled arrowed volume setter square with a speaker inside of it in the last picture.
Also note that the volume change you hear on the JBL Flip 2 lags by a second or so. Why? Because of the latency (delay) of the commands going across the Bluetooth airwaves to the speaker.
Again, we’re not covering here how to set volume for individual apps. So, we leave figuring out how to do this an exercise for the reader.
- How to Change JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker Name, Rename, Someday Perhaps
- JBL Flip 2 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Hard Reset JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker, Someday Perhaps
- How to Charge JBL Flip 2 Portable Bluetooth Speakers
- JBL Flip 2 Buttons Guide for JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker, Each Control Explored
- Adjusting Volume on Microsoft Invoke Voice Activated Speaker, How To
- JBL Flip 2 Charger Replacement Adapter Suggestions
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker, Turn Volume Up and Down
- JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker Review, on Tom’s Guide
- How to Reduce the Minimum Volume on a Bluetooth Speaker, from StackExchange.com
- 2018-06-13: First published.