There are a few ways for how to adjust volume on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth speaker. These depend on the app(s) you’re playing from mostly. Many apps provide loudness setting control. But this JBL speaker has two buttons for volume control as well. Find these (the + and -) buttons on its top side, as circled in green, in the next picture. Note though, that you cannot set volume with the JBL Connect+ app.
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
You can adjust the volume without using any apps, doing it this way, as follows.
1. Lay Out the Speaker such that the Button Controls Face You
See the correct speaker position shown next. There are four buttons in the row with the volume controls. These include the Bluetooth ON / OFF, Volume DOWN (-), Volume UP (+), and the Phone / Play / Pause button at the right side of the speaker.
2. Set Volume by Pressing the – and + Buttons
Press the (-) button at the left center of the speaker to reduce (lower) the volume. Tap the (+) button at the right center of the speaker to increase (raise) the volume.
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker with Siri Voice Commands on iOS
The JBL Flip 3 speaker allows you to activate Siri by pressing the Play / Pause button near the top of the speaker, when paired with an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch). This feature will not raise or lower the volume though, until you change the function of the speaker’s Play / Pause button in the JBL Connect Plus app. Press that button, and you get the screen on your device similar to that shown in the last picture.
Next is an example of giving Siri a voice command to set the volume to half (50 percent).
At any rate, once you’ve changed the Phone / Play / Pause button into a Siri control button, briefly press that button to get Siri’s attention. Then ask her to raise and lower the volume as follows.
Next is an example of Siri responding to a voice command to set the volume to FULL (100 percent).
Siri currently understands one scale for volume adjustment: 0-100 percent. Example commands follow. Say these after you’ve pressed the Play / Pause to wake her up.
- Set volume 0 [muted].
- Volume 0.
- Set volume 10 [Ten percent].
- Set volume 10 percent.
- Volume 10.
- Set volume 76 percent.
- Volume 76.
- Set volume 100 [One hundred percent, full volume].
There are also shortcut commands for minimum and maximum volume setting, as in:
- Mute. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
- Half volume. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Set volume full. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Set volume max. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Volume half. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Volume minimum. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker on Bluetooth Source Device
You can adjust volume with the controls on the paired device as well. Further, you can do the same with paired Android devices too.
However, we found that volume adjustments on the speaker do not change the volume setting on our Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Phone Pro. For this phone, the volume buttons on the speaker seemed to adjust the volume of the amplifiers within the Bluetooth speaker itself, and not the phone volume. We discovered distortion in the Flip 3, with its volume set to half while the phone volume was at full (100 percent). So, please be aware of this so you can avoid “over driving” the JBL Flip 3 with your Android device.
In this demo though, we’re playing YouTube content on our iPad Air, and streaming to the JBL Flip 3 via the Bluetooth connection.
1. Pair your JBL Flip 3
We’ll add posts presently that show how to pair the JBL Flip 3 with a source Bluetooth device.
2. Begin Playing a Music Source
Start streaming an internet radio station, a song from youTube or Spotify, or an Audible book. In this demo, we streamed YouTube audio to our Flip 3 JBL Bluetooth speaker, as shown next.
3. Use your Source Mobile Device’s Volume Control Buttons to Adjust the Volume of the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
See this done in the next picture.
Note the purple arrowed volume setter square with a speaker inside of it in the last picture.
Also note that the volume change you hear on the JBL Flip 3 lags by a second or so. Why? Because of the latency (delay) of the commands going across the Bluetooth airwaves to the speaker. Even the latest versions of the Bluetooth protocol introduce some perceptible audio delay.
Again, we’re not covering here how to set volume for individual apps. So, we leave figuring out how to do this an exercise for the reader.
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker with Power Bank
- Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker, How To, Through JBL Connect Plus App
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, Turn Volume Up and Down
- JBL Flip 3 Buttons Layout, What Each Button Does and When to Use Them
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Flip 3 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Reset the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker, Turn Volume Up and Down
- JBL Flip 3 Charging Indicator Shows How Full Battery Is
- Google Home Mini Volume, How to Set Instructions
- 2018-08-22: First published.