You can charge a JBL speaker conveniently via the hidden USB charge ports, and you may use it while it charges as well. To summarize how to charge it: First, select an adequate USB power adapter. Why this? Because the many JBL Speaker models do not come with this as a standard accessory. Plus, the bigger models including the Flip series, need a high power USB power source to charge fully in a reasonable amount of time.
Next, connect the orange micro USB cable between the JBL speaker and that adapter. Next, plug the adapter into a working wall outlet. Finally after two to five hours, your JBL speaker will fully charge, and you’ll be able to play it again for up to perhaps twenty hours before you must charge it again, depending on which model you have.
How to Charge a JBL Speaker, Step by Step
1. Choose Right Size Power Adapter
In this demo, we’re using the RavPower 24 watt dual port USB charger adapter, as shown next, to charge a Flip 4 speaker.
2. Open the Port Cover on So Equipped JBL Speakers
These doors are typically found on the Clip, earlier Flip, Charge, and Xtreme series JBL Speaker models. Some have a zipper cover, while others feature a snap-closed flap. For these, use a penny or a dime to pry open the waterproof seal port cover. For the zipper door models, just unzip them. In either case, this exposes the charging port inside, as shown next. Here, we see a micro USB port. But the later Flip and Charge models have a USB-C port. The Xtreme units accept a barrel DC connector.
3. Plug in the Charging Cord to the Speaker to Continue with How to Charge JBL Speaker
Then, plug the DC end of the charge cord into the matching charge port in the speaker, as shown next.
4. Plug the Other End of the Cord into your Power Adapter
Next, connect the opposite end of the charge cable to the power adapter if it’s not permanently attached, as pictured next.
5. Plug the AC USB Power Adapter into a Working Wall Outlet
Now that the JBL speaker and our RavPower adapter are connected together, we plug the adapter into a working AC outlet, as shown next. In this demo, we’ve plugged ours into a surge protector power strip.
At least one of the battery status lamps lights up on the Flip 4 when you apply enough USB power. There are five lamps that light in succession as the speaker battery charging progresses, as shown in the next picture. The JBL Flip, Charge, and Xtreme speakers all feature this battery gauge.
6. Let the Speaker Charge Until All Battery Power Lights Go Out to Continue with How to Charge JBL Speaker
Battery charging is done when all but the last of the battery status lights light solid. Then, the last one continues to blink for several minutes.
This next picture shows the speaker just before completing a full charge cycle. Note that all the lamps in the battery status gauge are glowing. However, the last one continues to blink.
The battery recharge cycle finishes when all battery status gauge lights go out, as shown next.
7. Unplug the Charge Cable from the JBL Speaker
8. Fully Close the Waterproof Port Door
Note that unless this flap is snapped or zipped securely and completely in place, water could enter the port area, possibly damaging the electronics inside the speaker. So, be sure to fully close the port door for full water resistance.
9. Done with How to Charge JBL Speaker !
We have now fully charged our JBL wireless Bluetooth speaker. Note that the battery charge status gauge just after turning on the speaker, after a full recharge. All lamps are glowing, which means that the speaker is current fully charged.
Repeat this process every ten to twenty hours of music play through the speaker, to keep its battery in top condition. We charge ours when the battery status gauge lights show only one light glowing.
Related Posts to How to Charge a JBL Speaker
- How to Charge JBL Go Bluetooth Speaker
- Flip 4 JBL Charging Indicator, How to Read to See How Full the Battery Is
- How to Charge Wonderboom Speaker
Other Posts About the JBL Speaker
- How to Connect JBL Speaker to Alexa
- JBL Speaker Bluetooth Pairing Instructions
- How to Connect JBL Speaker to Echo Dot
- JBL Speaker Button Functions, Meanings
References for How to Charge JBL Speaker
- 2020-06-22: First published.