Here’s how to charge JBL Xtreme portable Bluetooth speaker through its protected DC input power port and the included 19 volt power adapter.
How to Charge JBL Xtreme Summary
In short, first, we suggest that you charge the Xtreme with the included JBL charger. Why? Because this charger meets the speaker’s current needs, and is provided by JBL besides. Presumably, JBL thinks that this is a well-matched charger. After all, they do package it with the Xtreme. So, we won’t buck any systems here, and will indeed use that charger. But in a bind, you could fully charge the Xtreme with other vendors’ wall chargers. But we won’t discuss those options in this post.
It’s time to charge this speaker when the battery status gauge shows a single flashing red light, as pictured next.
When you see the blinking red lamp, plug the black barrel DC output charge cord jack into the Xtreme. Then, plug the charger into a working wall outlet.
Finally after a few hours, the Xtreme fully charges. Then, play it again for roughly fifteen hours before you have to charge it again.
How to Charge JBL Xtreme, Step by Step
1. For Best Results, Use the Included Power Adapter
As mentioned above, we use the JBL wall charger that comes with the JXtreme, as shown next.
2. Open the Port Cover
Grasp the orange zipper on the lower back of the Xtreem, and pull it to the left, opening port cover. This exposes the USB power out and charge port inside, as shown next.
3. Plug the DC Power Cord into the Xtreme to Continue with How to Charge JBL Xtreme
Then, plug the barrel connector end of the wall adapter’s cord into the matching DC input port on the speaker, as shown next.
4. Plug the AC Power Adapter into a Working Power Outlet
Now that the Xtreme and its AC adapter are connected, we plug the charger into a functioning AC outlet, as shown next.
At least one of the battery status lamps lights on the Xtreme when everything is working correctly. Five lamps on this speaker light in succession as battery charge progresses.
5. Allow the JBL Xtreme to Charge Until All Battery Power Lights Go Out
Battery charging is almost done when only the last of the battery status lights light is either OFF or blinking. The last then blinks for several minutes more to finish off the charge, as shown next.
The battery recharge cycle finishes when all battery status gauge lights go out, as shown next.
6. Unplug the DC Cable from the Speaker to Continue with How to Charge JBL Xtreme
The next picture shows the round charging port on the Xtreme after we took out the charge cord.
7. Fully Zip Up the Weather Resistant Port Door
Note that unless you fully zip up this power port opening flap, water might enter the connector area. It could then damage Xtreme components inside. So, take great care to fully close this port door for full water resistance.
See how this port door looks when fully closed and sealed in the next picture.
8. Done with How to Charge JBL Xtreme !
We have now fully charged our JBL Xtreme portable Bluetooth speaker. Note that the battery charge status gauge just after turning on the Xtreme after a full recharge. All lamps are aglow, meaning that the speaker is current fully charged, as shown in the next picture.
Repeat this process every fifteen hours of music play to keep its battery in good condition. We charge ours when the battery status gauge lights show just one lamp glowing.
How to Charge JBL Xtreme Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why Does my JBL Xtreme Keep Shutting Off?
An aging internal battery may cause this, as the battery can no longer deliver the minimum current the Xtreme needs to work properly. Installing a new battery often solves this issue. We suggest though, that you consult a qualified electronics technician to install a new battery.
What’s the JBL Xtreme Charge Time?
The Xtreme speaker fully charges between three and four hours, depending on the state of the battery when recharging starts. This assumes that you use the charger that comes with the speaker. Other wall chargers may take longer to fully recharge the Xtreme speaker.
How to Reset JBL Xtreme to Factory Default Settings?
To restore the Xtreme to factory default settings and state, follow the routine given in our JBL Xtreme Reset Instructions – How to Reset JBL Xtreme Speaker article.
How to Shut Off JBL Xtreme?
When the speaker is ON, the power button glows or flashes either blue or white depending on the mode it’s currently in. Press this button to shut it off. All lights should go out within a couple seconds. The speaker should also play that JBL trademark falling guitar cord sound.
How to Turn On JBL Xtreme?
No lights glow, and no sound comes from the Xtreme when it’s OFF. Turn it on by pressing the Power button. See the Power button location shown in the next picture.
What Does the JBL Xtreme Flashing Red Light Mean?
When you see the red light blinking on the Xtreme’s battery level gauge, this means that the battery has very little charge left, and that the speaker will shut off within an hour if not charged again. See the red light we’re talking about in the last picture above, pointed out by the green arrow. Note though that this lamp never flashes red when you connect a working charger. As you charge the speaker from an almost dead state, one of the battery gauge lamps blinks white.
Other Posts About the JBL Xtreme Power Bank Speaker
- How to Reset JBL Xtreme Power Bank Speaker
- JBL Xtreme Reset Button Location, Where to Find It
- Pair JBL Xtreme to iPhone, How To
- JBL Xtreme Charger Cord Specs
- How to Find JBL Xtreme Speaker Firmware Version Instructions
- JBL Xtreme Low Frequency Mode, How to Switch ON
- How to Pair JBL Xtreme with Amazon Alexa Echo Speakers
- Pair JBL Xtreme with Google Home, How To
- JBL Xtreme Buttons Meanings, Button Combinations
- How to Restart JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
- Updating Firmware on JBL Xtreme Speaker, How To
- JBL Xtreme Power Cord AC Adapter Charger Specs
- How to Connect JBL Xtreme with iPhone
- JBL Xtreme Change Name, How to Rename this BT Speaker
- How to Tell if JBL Xtreme is Charging
- JBL Xtreme Speaker Specs, Specifications
Related Posts to How to Charge JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Charge Wonderboom Speaker
- JBL Xtreme Reset Instructions – How to Reset JBL Xtreme Speaker
- How to Charge JBL Go Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Xtreme Firmware Update Instructions
- How to Charge UE Wonderboom Speaker Instructions
- JBL Xtreme Low Frequency Mode, How to Switch ON
- Pairing JBL Xtreme with iPhone iPod iPad iOS Tablets Phones
- How to Charge JBL Flip 2 Portable Bluetooth Speakers
References for How to Charge JBL Xtreme Portable Speaker
- 2020-04-07: Added tags.
- 2019-02-24: First posted.