This piece covers how to charge the Sony SRS XB13 extra bass portable Bluetooth speaker. Do this easily through the USB power in port, behind the water resistant door, shown in the pictures below. Note that you can still play your XB13 mini speaker as it charges, without significantly increasing the recharge time.
First, pick a strong enough USB power adapter, as no charger comes with the Sony SRS XB13. Next, connect a medium to high current USB-C charge cable between the speaker and that adapter (the speaker comes with a short USB-C to USB-A cord). Then, plug the charger into a working wall outlet. Then after four to five hours, your XB13 finishes charging. So it’s ready to play once more for up to sixteen (16) hours before needing another recharge.
How to Charge the Sony SRS XB13 Ultra Portable Speaker
1. Choose Correctly Sized AC or Car Adapter
The charger you use should provide 5 volts and at least 0.5 amps (2.5 watts), and at most 2.4 amps (15 watts). Here, we use a Key Power model HDD15-3-PD USB power delivery system. Now as mentioned, this speaker needs roughly half an amp current to recharge fully in a reasonably short time. So ths Key Power unit suplies way more than enough power to do the job.
2. Open the Port Cover
Use a fingernail, dime, penny, or small screwdriver to work open the waterproof seal port cover on the XB13. See the closed power port door in the next picture. Be careful not to scratch the delicate seal around the inside edge of this door.
Prying open this door exposes the USB-C charging port inside, as shown next, pointed at by the green arrow.
3. Power OFF the Unit to Continue with How to Charge the Sony SRS XB13 Bluetooth Speaker
Note that the SRSXB13 still charges when powered ON. But depending on how much above-and-beyond recharging capacity your charger supplies, the speaker might charge a little faster when turned OFF.
4. Plug the USB-C Cord into the Speaker
Then, plug the matching end of a USB-C charge cable into the port, as seen in the next shot.
5. Plug the Other End of the USB Cable into your Charger Adapter
Next, connect the matching end of the USB power cable to the AC or car adapter.
6. Plug the USB Adapter into a Working Wall Receptacle to Continue with How to Charge the Sony SRS XB13
Now that we connected the XB13 and our adapter, we then plug the mains end of the adapter into a working AC outlet, as shown next. We plugged ours into a surge protecting power strip.
The status lamp lights up solid orange on the speaker. And while no battery status gauge shows percentage of charge, the glowing CHARGE lamp means that charging is occurring, as shown next.
7. Let the XB13 Charge Until the Orange CHARGE Light Goes Out
Full battery charging is finished when the solid red status lamp near the bottom of the speaker turns off, as shown next.
8. Unplug the USB-C Charge Cable from the Speaker, to Continue with How to Charge Sony SRS XB13
9. Fully Close the Port Door / Cap
Note that unless you seat the port cap securely, water may soak its USB-C charging port. And, since water and electronics generally do not go well together, getting that connector wet might damage the sensitive contacts inside. So be sure to press the port door closed with enough force to fully seat it, for maximum moisture protection.
10. Done with How to Charge the Sony SRS XB13 Bluetooth Speaker
We have now fully charged our XB13.
Finally, repeat this recharging every sixteen hours of play, to keep the battery in top condition for years.
Other Posts About the SRS XB13 Sony Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Factory Reset Sony SRS XB13 Mini Speaker
- Sony SRS XB13 Buttons Explained
- Sony SRS XB13 Battery Indicator, How to Read
- How to Turn Off Sony SRS XB13 Extra Bass Speaker
- How to Turn On Sony SRS XB13 Bluetooth Speaker
Related Posts to How to Charge the Sony SRS XB13 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Charge Sony SRS XB12 Mini Speaker
- Charging the Sony SRS XB10 Speaker
- How to Charge Wonderboom Speaker
- How to Charge JBL Flip 4 Wireless Speakers
- JBL Charge 3 Speaker How to Charge
References for How to Charge the Sony SRS XB13 Speaker
- 2021-09-21: First published.