We have an Alexa smart speaker with the Amazon voice assistant. We find that we can connect those speakers to our Honeywell Total Connect Comfort (TCC) thermostat. This allows asking Alexa to read and set the settings on our thermostat. Highly useful feature. Thus in this post, we show how to connect Honeywell thermostat to Alexa speakers. Indeed, we want our readers enjoy this same convenience in their homes.
Now we’ve owned the Honeywell RTH9580WF internet t-stat, shown next, for some years now. So we’ve already set up an account at the Honeywell TCC website. Thus, we won’t delve into how to do that here. Account setup over there is pretty straight forward.
We also assume that you’ve installed and set up your Alexa speaker. See the Related Posts section near the bottom of this post for links to details on doing that.
How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
1. Obtain a Honeywell Total Comfort Connect (TCC) Account
To get started, you’ll need a TCC account. So if you don’t already have one, head on over to the Honeywell portal website here, and make a new one. Be sure to save your user Id and password, as you’ll need this information when configuring the Alexa Honeywell TCC skill below.
2. Run the Alexa App on your Mobile Device
We use an iOS-based iPad Air computer tablet for this demo.
Upon running the Alexa app, you’ll see its Home screen, as shown next.
3. Bring Up the Alexa App Main Menu
Note that the following screenshots came from the Alexa app for iOS.
Tap the hamburger control in the top left corner of the Home screen, as pointed at by the green arrow above.
Alexa then puts up its main menu, as shown next.
4. Touch the Skills & Games Item to Continue with How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
Tap the Skills item on the left side of the screen, pointed to by the green arrow in the last picture.
This takes you to the Skills and Games page, as shown next.
5. Touch the Search Button
Find the Search button in the top right hand corner of the Skills & Games main page, as pointed at by the blue arrow in the last shot.
Tapping Search brings up a search edit box as shown next.
6. Enter the Phrase Honeywell Total Connect Comfort into the Edit Box
Type those words into the edit box pointed to above by the blue arrow and then hit the Enter key.
The system then brings up a list of skills that contain the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort phrase, as shown next.
7. Tap the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Skill to Continue with How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
The skill’s setup screen then appears, as shown next.
8. Tap the Blue Enable To Use Bar
Find this control in the upper center of the page, as pointed at by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
The Honeywell Total Connect Comfort skill login screen then appears, as seen next.
9. Input your Honeywell TCC Account Id and Password
Enter the email address and password you created your Honeywell TCC account with, in the spaces so marked in the above picture.
Once done, this screen should look as follows.
10. Tap the Sign In Button to Move Forward with How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
Find this control pointed at by the green arrow in the last photo.
If you entered the user Id and password for a valid Honeywell TCC account, The EULA screen appears next, as follows.
11. Tap the I Accept Button
You should get a Linkage Successful message screen, as shown next.
12. Touch the Done Button
Find the blue Done button, pointed at by the green arrow, in the upper left corner of the page in the last screenshot above.
You then get the Discover Devices page, as shown next.
From here, you can start a scan by Alexa for your thermostat.
13. Tap the Discover Devices Button to Continue with How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
This starts the Alexa app scanning your home network for any attached smart home devices like a Honeywell thermostat, as shown next.
When that scan finishes, you get the next screen. This tells us that Alexa has found one new thermostat.
14. Tap the Set Up Device Bar
Touching the Set Up Device button brings up the Add your Thermostat to a Group prompt page, as shown next.
15. Touch the Skip Link
We’re not going to add our new thermostat to any groups in this demo. So we tap the Skip button. Find the Skip link, as shown in the last pic, pointed at by the bright green arrow.
Next, if all goes well, Alexa then lets us know that the thermostat, named THERMOSTAT in this demo, is set up and ready for use, as shown in the next screenshot.
16. Tap the Blue Done Button to Continue with How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
17. Tap the Thermostats Button
Touching Thermostats brings up a list of smart home thermostats that have been registered with Alexa, as shown next. In this demo, the app lists only one thermostat, since we only have one Honeywell thermostat set up. Its name is THERMOSTAT.
18. Tap the Thermostat Device Item to View
Touch the t-stat in this list that you just added. In our case, this is a device named THERMOSTAT.
If you connected your thermostat to Alexa without problems, you should see a status screen similar to the one shown next.
19. You’re Done with How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa !
If you saw the screen as shown in the previous step, that means that you have successfully connected your Honeywell thermostat to Alexa. This also means that you can now control the thermostat using this screen, from the Alexa app. Note that you can adjust the temperature with the minus and plus buttons. You can also set up a routine to control temperature. And finally, you can read and adjust thermostat temperature on any Alexa speaker connected to the same Amazon account as the thermostat. Try the following voice commands.
- Alexa, raise thermostat temperature. Raises thermostat setting by two degrees.
- Alexa, lower thermostat temperature. Lowers thermostat temperature setting by two degrees.
- Alexa, set thermostat temperature to 74 degrees. Sets thermostat temperature to 74 degrees.
Related Posts to How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
- How to Connect JBL Speaker to Alexa
- Connecting Pandora to Alexa
- How to Connect Alexa to WiFi, Different Network
- How to Connect Gosund Mini Smart Plug to Alexa
- Connect Alexa to New WiFi, How To
References for How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
- 2020-08-04: Tweaked the targeting and updated the tags list.
- 2019-05-11: Tuned the targeting for ‘Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa’, updated picture text, and added tags.
- 2019-02-07: Originally posted.