This post shows how to connect a Sony SRS XB31 wireless speaker to an iPhone smart phone. Doing this gives you a much bigger, and clearly better sound when you stream music from the iPhone to speakers like this one.
How to Connect Sony SRS XB31 Speaker to iPhone, Step by Step Details
With the XB31 switched OFF (power button is dark), run through this routine to connect it to your iPhone device. For this demo, the test phone is an iPhone 12 Pro Max.
1. Go to the Home Screen on your Device
Firstly, press and release the side button (right edge of the cell phone) and enter your passcode or Face Id to bring up the Home screen.
2. Find the Settings App
Next, flip through the Home screen pages until you find the Settings app. We found ours on the second page of the Home screen, as shown next.
3. Bring up the Settings App
Thirdly, tap the Settings app icon.
The smart device then shows the first page of its settings, as shown in the next step.
4. Go to the Bluetooth Option to Continue with How to Connect Sony SRS XB31 to iPhone
Tap the Bluetooth item on the Settings page.
Then you get the Bluetooth Settings screen, as we show next.
Note that our Bluetooth is running here. But since our test Sony SRS XB31 speaker is currently shut OFF (is not in Bluetooth pairing mode), it does not show up in the BT devices list. Also, we don’t see it since we’ve never paired this speaker with this iPhone before.
5. Turn On your Speaker
Turn on the XB 41 by quickly pressing its Power button. See this, pointed at by the green arrow, in the next picture.
The speaker then boots, and its status lamp glows white, as we see in the next picture.
Also, the Bluetooth Status lamp may blink in some pattern to indicate that the speaker is ready to answer a Bluetooth pairing request. Or, it may automatically connect to some nearby device. But no matter. This procedure works the same regardless.
If this lamp blinks slowly, then it’s passively waiting for a Bluetooth connection request to come in. It does not transmit its connection data in this mode.
But if it fast flashes, then it is indeed broadcasting its pairing information over Bluetooth so other devices can find it. I.e. The speaker is in pairing mode in this case.
Moreover, since our test iPhone does not know about this speaker, this speaker will not pair with it automatically.
6. Put the XB31 into Pairing Mode
Now, to see this speaker on your iPhone, place it into Bluetooth pairing mode if it’s not in that mode already. To do that, press the Power-Pairing button. Then release it when the unit makes a rising beep noise and speaks that it’s in pairing mode by saying, “Bluetooth pairing.” Also, the Bluetooth Status lamp begins its rapid blue flashing pattern, as we see in the last picture.
Find the Power-Pairing button at the rightmost position on the top button panel on the speaker.
7. Find the Speaker on your Phone to Continue with How to Connect Sony SRS XB31 to iPhone
See the screen shot next. We found our speaker, as shown next.
8. Connect with the XB31
Tap the listed speaker in the Other Devices list.
The iPhone then pairs with the test speaker here.
I.e. The iPhone’s Bluetooth Settings screen might then change to look something like the following. Note the now-paired Sony SRS XB31 entry, as we point out with the green arrow next.
9. Done with How to Connect Sony SRS XB31 to iPhone !
At last, we have now successfully connected the XB31 test speaker with a popular iPhone.
Other Posts About the Sony SRS XB31 Speaker
- Sony SRS XB31 Button Functions Explained
- How to Check XB31 Battery Life
- How to Make the XB31 Discoverable
- Putting the Sony SRS XB31 Speaker into Pairing Mode
- How to Pair the XB31 Speaker
Related Posts to How to Connect Sony SRS XB31 Speaker to an iPhone
- How to Connect Sony SRS XB32 to iPhone
- How to Connect Sony SRS XB41 Portable Speaker to iPhone
- Sony SRS XB33 Bluetooth Speaker How to Connect to iPhone
- How to Connect Sony SRS XB43 to iPhone
- Connecting a Sony Bluetooth Speaker to an iPhone, Tips and Tricks
- Sony SRS XB31 Bluetooth Portable Speakers Product Page at Sony.com
- iPhone Official Product Page at Apple.com
- 2021-10-04: First published.