You may need to disconnect your Spotify account from an Alexa host device because,
- You’re giving an Alexa to your child, and you wish to keep him / her from listening to adult stuff on Spotify. But you still allow her access to other family sensitive Alexa features.
- You cancelled your Spotify subscription. So you want to clear it our of your Alexa settings to cut clutter.
- You like other versions of music than what Spotify offers. Thus, you remove Spotify from Alexa This way, your speakers do not find songs you request on Spotify. Instead, she gets them from your other active music services, which DO offer the versions you want.
How to Disconnect Spotify from Alexa
Get tablet ready for this. Be sure to install Alexa app and link it to the right Amazon account (probably your account). This account should have the Spotify account you wish to disconnect. Then, run through the following steps.
1. Find the Alexa App on your Mobile Device
On an iPad, we find the Alexa app page three of the Home screen. See this in the next picture.
2. Run the Alexa App
Tap the Alexa app icon on the tablet home screen.
The Alexa app Home screen then displays, as shown next.
3. Tap the Settings Link
We find this in black and white menu at left side of the Alexa app home screen.
The Alexa app then shows its Settings screen, as we see next.
4. Tap the Music & Media Link to Continue with How to Disconnect Spotify from Alexa
pointed at by the pink arrow in the last picture.
The Media Services screen then pops up, as we see next.
5. Tap the Spotify Item in the Media Services List
as displayed in the previous picture.
Then, you get the Spotify Settings screen as we see next.
6. Tap the Unlink Spotify from Alexa link.
The Unlink Spotify Confirmation Prompt screen should then appear, as follows.
7. Finally, tap the Unlink Button
in that confirmation window.
This disconnects your Spotify account from the Alexa app.
Then Alexa returns you to the Media Services screen, as we see in the next step.
You might get an error message though, because someone else who shares your Amazon account may have already deleted your Spotify profile.
8. Check that you Indeed Disconnected your Spotify Account
On the Media Services page, find the Spotify entry and look to the right of it. If there’s a blue Link Account on Spotify.com option, then your Spotify account info has been successfully deleted from Alexa.
You can also see that Alexa no longer plays music on Spotify. Try asking for a song on Spotify. For example, say something like
- Alexa, play Hey Brother by Avicii on Spotify.
If you successfully removed your Spotify profile the Alexa assistant, she’ll say back,
“To play Spotify, first link your premium account using the Alexa app.”
9. Done with How to Disconnect Spotify from Alexa !
But if you change your mind, and would like to reinstate Spotify access on your Amazon smart speaker devices, then simply add back your Spotify account info in the Alexa app, as we explain how to do here.
Other Posts About Spotify
- Google Home Spotify Commands List
- Echo Spotify Commands for Amazon Echo Speakers
- How to Set Up Spotify on Google Home Mini
- Link Spotify to Google Home Mini Instructions
- How to Connect Spotify to Alexa Smart Speakers
Other Posts About Alexa
- How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot to Factory Settings
- Google Home Vs Alexa Smart Speaker Features
- How to Reset Alexa Dot Smart Speakers
- Alexa Echo Dot Spotify Instructions, Setup, Play
- How to Get Alexa to Play Spotify Playlists
References for How to Disconnect Spotify from Alexa
- 2021-08-21: Updated the internal links and tags lists.
- 2020-05-20: First published.