Here, we show how to factory reset the Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation Alexa speaker back to default settings. So why would you ever wish to do this? In fact, you may wish to sell or give your Dot to a friend. Or you might need to link it to a new Amazon account. Or you could want to connect it to a new WiFi network. In all these cases, factory resetting is the best way to clean out all old account data from the Dot. A factory reset gets the speaker ready to use on a new account and / or WiFi network.
Do not always factory reset as a first step for fixing strange behavior. Before that, try turning off the speaker for fifteen seconds by unplugging its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the unit itself. Then, wait for a quarter minute. Finally, plug it back in. Cold booting often restores proper function. But if not, read on for the proper procedure.
Once you factory reset your Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation you’ll no longer be able to control it from your Amazon account. To regain control, run through the setup routine again. There, relink the speaker to that Amazon account again via the Alexa app.
How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation Speaker
1. Attach Wall Power Cable
First, connect the Dot to its 12-volt power adapter cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the Power Cord into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the Echo Dot to finish booting. It’s done booting when either the light ring goes dark, or it begins flashing orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for 5 to 10 Seconds to Continue with How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation
Press the Action button until the light ring on top turns orange. You should also hear the unit announce that it is entering Setup mode. On this speaker, the Action button doubles as the Factory Reset button, and is pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Factory Reset?
Your Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation assistant is now restored to its factory default settings. It also has entered Setup mode, as shown next.
5. Done !
Pack it Up or Set it Up Again
You may now give your Dot 3 to another now. Don’t fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your Amazon account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account. But if selling, we suggest that you pack the speaker in its original carton. Do this for safest transport through the mail, as shown in the next picture. Then, pack the Echo box in another outer box for further safety.
Other Posts About the Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation Speaker
Related Posts to How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- How to Factory Reset Echo Dot 2 Speaker
- Echo Dot 3 How to Factory Reset
- How to Factory Reset Alexa Dot Speakers
- How to Factory Reset JBL Xtreme 2
- Factory Resetting the JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth Speaker
- Google Home Mini Setup Instructions
- How to Pair Sony Speaker to iPhone
- Philips SHQ3000 Earbuds Earhook Headphones Review
- How to Connect Alexa to Another WiFi Network
- Finding Radio Stream URL Using URL Snooper 2
References for How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- All-new Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa, on Amazon.com
- What is Amazon Echo? on Wikipedia
- 2020-09-20: First published.