The Amazon Echo Dot talking speakers need a reset every so often. This restores them to out-of-box, factory default state. Factory resetting them also fixes many weird behaviors they might show. So here, we tell you how to factory reset Amazon Echo Dot smart speakers. Why? Because also, it prepares them for sale to another person. You reset both the original and 2nd generation Dots as follows.
How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot 1 to Factory Default Instructions
1. Power Up the Amazon Echo Dot 1
Connect the 1st Gen Amazon Echo Dot to its USB power supply. The light ring will light up blue for a bit, and then go off once the Dot completes booting.
2. Press the Reset Button
Once the light ring goes black, use a paper clip end to press in and hold the Reset button. Keep pressing for five to ten seconds. Then, let it go when the light ring turns orange, and then blue.
3. Wait for Factory Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes black for a brief few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Factory Reset Now Done
You have now restored your Amazon Echo Dot 1st Gen speaker to its factory default state. The speaker enters setup mode after a factory reset.
5. Set Up Again, or Pack Up
You may now give your Amazon Echo Dot 1 to a loved one or buyer. Don’t worry that they’ll access your speaker settings in your Amazon account. Factory reset erases those prior values from your Dot. Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone runs the setup procedure anew. The Amazon Echo Dot won’t work fully until set up and linked to an Amazon account again.
How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot 2 to Factory Default State Instructions
1. Connect your Amazon Echo Dot 2 to Power
Connect the Amazon Echo Dot 2 to its USB power adapter. The light ring glows blue for a time, and then goes dark. This means good boot up.
2. Press the Amazon Echo Dot 2 Factory Reset Button Combo
See our Where is the Amazon Echo Dot Reset Button post, for details on how to find the reset button on the 1st and 2nd gen Echo Dot devices. At any rate, once the light ring goes black, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons. Press these at the same time for the same amount of time.
3. Wait for Factory Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring again goes black for a brief pause, and then glows orange.
4. Amazon Echo Dot 2 Factory Reset Now Done
You have now reset your speaker and restored its factory default settings. It has now entered setup mode.
5. Set Up or Sell It
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Amazon Echo Dot 2 to someone else. Have no fear that they’ll see your Echo Dot 2 settings on your personal Amazon account. Those values have now cleared from that speaker. Or, you can set it up once again on your account and WiFi. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit stays in setup mode until set up again. The Amazon Echo Dot 2 will not work until set up and linked to the internet.
6. Done with How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot !
Other Posts About the Amazon Echo Dot Speaker
- How to Restart Amazon Echo Dot Speaker
- Connecting Bluetooth to Amazon Echo Dot
- How to Pair JBL Flip 4 with Amazon Echo Dot Speakers
- Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
- How to Change Amazon Echo Dot Name
Related Posts to How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot
- Factory Reset Amazon Echo Instructions
- How to Factory Reset Google Home Mini Speaker
- Factory Reset UE Wonderboom Speaker, How To
- Factory Reset Alexa Instructions, Dot, Spot, Echo
- How to Factory Reset Google Home Original Speaker
- Reset your Echo Device, from Amazon Help
- How to Set Up your Amazon Echo Dot, from Amazon
- Amazon Echo Troubleshooting, from iFixIt.com
- 2020-07-12: Added tags and optimized text.
- 2019-05-16: Tuned the targeting for ‘How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot’ and added tags.
- 2019-03-31: Shortened post URL and removed ad code.
- 2018-05-09: First published.