Why would you need to know how to find Alexa IP address for Amazon Echo devices? You would want this address to check that the device is correctly linked to your WiFi network. Knowing that your speaker has an IP address assigned to it is valuable. It helps in debugging internet issues between your Alexa device and the Amazon Alexa cloud servers. If it has no IP address, you won’t be able to play music, get news, control lights, or anything else that these units normally do. So in this post, we show you how to find this address using a combination of the Alexa app and a typical router’s Attached Devices pages.
Further, You can locate the Alexa device’s MAC ID (hardware address) as well, using this same method. How? The MAC ID is listed in the Alexa app on the device’s About page. In fact, we need the MAC address first, and then that we’ll use to find the device’s current IP address. Note that fortunately, registering your Alexa device does not require its MAC address. Unfortunately however, as of this writing, the Alexa app does not show the IP address of its connected speakers. Thus, we must perform the added step of looking up the IP address associated with the device’s hardware address on the router.
How to Find Alexa IP Address
Note that the device whose IP address you want must be powered ON and connected to your network. Since these addresses are normally allocated dynamically by the network, your speaker won’t have this address unless it’s connected.
1. Go to the Alexa App’s Home Screen
Bring up the Alexa app on your mobile device. We’re running this scenario on an iOS based iPad Air.
The Home page of the Alexa app is pictured next.
2. Tap the Menu (Hamburger Control) Item
Tapping the Menu option on the Home screen brings up the main menu screen, similar to what’s pictured next.
3. Tap the Settings Menu Item to Continue with How to Find Alexa IP Address
The Settings option is pointed at by the green arrow in the last picture.
This pulls up the All Devices page, as shown next.
4. Tap the Echo Device whose IP Address you Wish to Find
In this demo, we want to find the IP address for our Echo Sub subwoofer speaker. So we tapped that entry in the screen pictured last.
We then saw the Device Settings page, as shown next.
Next, scroll down the page to find the About option, as highlighted in the next picture.
5. Tap the About Option
Hitting About pulls up the About screen for the device you selected in the last step, as shown next for our Echo Sub speaker.
The MAC address appears on this About page for our Echo Sub, as shown in the previous screenshot. Note that we’ve partially blocked this hardware address along with the speaker’s serial number for security purposes.
To find your devices IP address, write down its MAC address that you get from this screen on your Alexa app, as we’ve done here. Then, move on to the next step.
6. Find MAC Address in Router’s Connected Devices List
Finding the IP address associated with the given MAC address works differently on the many routers and networks out there. But in our case, we have the Asus RT-AC87R router and WiFi access point. So we show its Attached Devices screen where we found the MAC address listed from above. Most routers have page that shows all the network devices they’re currently hosting.
We circled the entry with the same hardware address as our Echo Sub that we got in the last step. In our example, the Echo Sub’s IP address is 192.168.0.45.
7. Done with How to Find Alexa IP Address !
We have now shown one way how to find Alexa IP address for an Echo device like a speaker. We hope this outline helps you debug any internet connectivity issues with your Alexa-based smart speakers. Take care.
Related Posts to How to Find Alexa IP Address
- How to Find Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat IP Address, MAC ID, and MAC CRC Values
- Alexa Echo Subwoofer Setup Instructions for Amazon Echo Sub Speaker
- How to Connect Alexa to New WiFi Network, 2018 Version
- Find Pandora on Alexa App Instructions
- How to Find JBL Xtreme Speaker Firmware Version Instructions
- How to Connect Alexa to Pandora, 2018 Version
Other Posts About Alexa Amazon Echo Devices
- How to Find Echo Spot IP Address, for Amazon Alexa Spot Speaker
- Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
- How to Pair JBL Xtreme with Amazon Alexa Echo Speakers
- Echo Spot Change WiFi Instructions, Amazon Alexa
- AC Adapter Specs for Amazon Echo Generation 1 Alexa
- Echo Dot 3 Setup Instructions for Amazon Alexa 3rd Generation Dot
- Alexa Features List of Amazon Echo Capabilities and Uses
- Restart Alexa Echo Dot, How To Restart Amazon Dot
- Amazon Echo 2 Picture Gallery, Alexa Photos Images
- How to Adjust Bass on Echo Sub Amazon Alexa Subwoofer
- Echo Dot 2nd Generation Review, Amazon Alexa Dot 2
- Alexa Echo Subwoofer Setup Instructions for Amazon Echo Sub
- How to Set Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1
- Deregister Echo Dot Instructions, How to Deregister Amazon Alexa Speakers
- How to Reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 to Factory Settings
- How to Set Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
References for How to Find Alexa IP Address
- 2019-05-01: Tuned the targeting for ‘ How to find Alexa IP address’.
- 2019-01-25: First published.