This post shows how to pair a JBL Flip 5 speaker with an Alexa assistant speaker device. We illustrate this on the Alexa Input device, although just about any Alexa speaker would pair the same way as shown here. Since this Bluetooth connecting happens right between the speaker and Alexa, you need not turn Bluetooth on in the mobile device you’re using to establish this link.
How to Pair JBL Flip 5 with Alexa
Begin with your JBL Flip 5 turned off. Then perform this routine to pair it to an Alexa device. We’re using an iPad Air iPadOS tablet to build this pairing.
1. Find the Alexa app on your Mobile Device
We found the app on our device as shown in the next screenshot. In our case, the Alexa app is on the third home screen page. It’s pointed at by the blue arrow.
2. Run the Alexa App
The app displays its Home screen as shown in the next screenshot.
3. Tap the More (Hamburger) Control
Find the hamburger item in the lower right corner of the screen. This is pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Alexa app’s main menu, as shown in the next screenshot.
4. Tap the Settings Option on the Main Menu to Continue with How to Pair JBL Flip 5 with Alexa
The Settings option is pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Settings screen, as shown in the next screenshot.
From here, choose which Alexa device you wish to pair to your JBL Flip 5 speaker. The green arrow in the next picture points at our choice, the Thomas’s Echo Input Alexa device.
5. Tap the Alexa Device you Want to Pair
This takes you to the device-specific settings screen for the device you picked.
6. Tap the Bluetooth Devices Item
Find the Bluetooth Devices menu item pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Bluetooth Devices screen, as shown next.
At this point, you’re ready to start a Bluetooth scan by the Alexa speaker / receiver you just chose for this connection. In our demo here, our Alexa Input will be the one that scans for Bluetooth devices.
But don’t press the Pair a New Device button just yet. We must first power up our JBL Flip 5, and put it into discovery mode.
7. Turn On your Speaker to Continue with How to Pair JBL Flip 5 with Alexa
Put down your mobile device for a moment, and turn on your JBL speaker. On our Flip 5, we switch the speaker ON by quickly pressing its Power button. See this button pointed at by the green arrow, in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since our Alexa device does not know about this speaker yet, it will not pair with the BT speaker automatically. Thus, the Bluetooth light that shows as dark after you power up the JBL Flip 5.
8. Put your JBL Flip 5 into Pairing Mode
Now, to let Alexa find the Flip 5, place that speaker in pairing / discovery mode by pressing and releasing the Bluetooth button, as pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
When you press the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, many speakers make some sort of noise to let you know that they’re ready to pair. Some also flash the Bluetooth button.
9. Now, Go Back to your Mobile Device
The screen with the blue Pair a New Device button should still be showing, as in the next screenshot.
10. Tap the Blue Pair a New Device Button to Continue with How to Pair JBL Flip 5 with Alexa
This starts your Alexa device scanning for any nearby Bluetooth speakers that are themselves in pairing mode. Since your BT speaker is now in that mode, Alexa should find it.
Then, after a short pause, you should see something like the screen we got. Shown next.
In our demo, the Alexa app found our BT speaker, named JBL Flip 5.
11. Find your JBL Flip 5 on the Discovered Devices List
See the screenshot above.
So, we located our Bluetooth speaker in the list, as pointed at by the green arrow in that picture.
12. Finally, Pair your Alexa with the JBL Flip 5 Speaker
Link to the BT speaker by tapping the listed speaker in the Bluetooth Setup screen, shown in the last screenshot above.
The Alexa smart speaker device then pairs with the Bluetooth speaker (“JBL Flip 5” in this demo).
Then, the app then takes you back to the Device Settings page for the Alexa device, as shown next.
Also, our speaker makes a Speaker Paired sound (the three ascending tones). Again though, your BT speaker may do something different to indicate that it is paired.
The JBL Flip 5 speaker is now paired with Alexa.
13. Done with How to Pair JBL Flip 5 with Alexa !
We have now successfully paired a JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker with an Alexa Echo device. So we can now ask Alexa to play music through the Flip 5.
Other Posts About the JBL Flip 5 Speaker
- JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth Pairing Instructions
- How to Tell if JBL Flip 5 is Charging
- JBL Flip 5 Low Frequency Mode, Extra Bass
- How to Put JBL Flip 5 in Pairing Mode
- JBL Flip 5 Battery Indicator, Charging Indicator Lights
Other Posts About Alexa
- Alexa WiFi Setup Instructions for Amazon Echo Speakers
- How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa
- Alexa Echo Subwoofer Setup Instructions
- How to Hook Up Alexa Speaker to New WiFi
- Connecting JBL Flip 2 to Alexa
Related Posts to How to Pair JBL Flip 5 with Alexa
- How to Pair Logitech Wonderboom with Alexa Echo
- Pairing the Sony SRS XB10 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa
- JBL Charge 4 How to Pair with Alexa Echo Speakers
- How to Pair JBL Go 2 with Echo Alexa Speakers
References How to Pair JBL Flip 5 with Alexa
- 2020-09-16: First published.