This post shows how to pair a JBL Xtreme 2 Bluetooth speaker to a common Alexa device. We do this with the Alexa Echo Input. But the same you could also do with an Alexa Dot, Spot, or any other Amazon Echo device that supports Bluetooth. Since this BT connecting happens directly between the speaker and Alexa, you need not turn Bluetooth on in the mobile device you’re using to set up this link.
How to Pair JBL Xtreme 2 with Alexa
Start with your JBL Xtreme 2 powered off. Then run through this routine to pair the speaker to the Alexa device. We’re using an iPad Air computer to establish this linkage.
1. Find the Alexa App on your Mobile Device
We found the app on an iPadOS iPad Air as shown in the next screenshot. In our case, the Alexa app is on the third home screen page. It’s pointed at by the blue arrow.
2. Run the Alexa App
The app displays its Home screen as shown in the next screenshot.
3. Tap the More (Hamburger) Control
Find the hamburger item in the lower right corner of the screen. This is pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot. Some older versions of the app display this control near the top left corner of the page.
Touching this item brings up the Alexa app’s main menu, as shown in the next screenshot.
4. Tap the Settings Option on the Main Menu to Continue with How to Pair JBL Xtreme 2 with Alexa
The Settings option is pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Settings screen, as shown in the next screenshot.
From here, choose which Alexa device you wish to pair to your JBL speaker. The green arrow in the next picture points at our choice, the Thomas’s Echo Input device.
5. Tap the Alexa Device you Want to Pair to the Bluetooth Speaker
This takes you to the device-specific settings screen for the Alexa device you picked. The Echo Input here.
6. Tap the Bluetooth Devices Item
Find the Bluetooth Devices menu item pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Bluetooth Devices screen, as shown next.
At this point, you’re ready to start a Bluetooth scan by the Alexa unit you just chose for this pairing. Again, our Alexa Input will be the one that scans for Bluetooth devices.
But don’t press the Pair a New Device button just yet. We must first power up the JBL Xtreme 2 and put it into discovery mode.
7. Turn On your Speaker to Continue with How to Pair JBL Xtreme 2 with Alexa
Set aside your mobile device for a minute, and turn on your JBL Xtreme 2 speaker. Here, we power ours up by quickly pressing its Power button. See this button pointed at by the green arrow, in the next picture.
The speaker then powers ON.
But since our Alexa device does not know about this speaker yet, she will not connect with the speaker automatically. Thus, the Power / Bluetooth Status light shows as white after you switch on this speaker. This assumes that the Xtreme 2 hasn’t paired with anything else since power up.
8. Put your Xtreme 2 into Pairing Mode
Now, to allow Alexa to find the JBL Xtreme 2, place that speaker in Bluetooth discovery mode. For this model speaker, we press and hold in the Bluetooth button, as pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture, until the unit makes a repeating guitar pluck sound.
This tells us that it’s ready to pair. Its Power lamp also flashes blue to signal that pairing mode is active.
9. Now, Go Back to your Mobile Device
The screen with the blue Pair a New Device button should still be showing, as in the next screenshot.
10. Tap the Blue Pair a New Device Button to Continue with How to Pair JBL Xtreme 2 with Alexa
This starts your Alexa device scanning for any nearby Bluetooth devices that are themselves in discovery mode. Since our speaker is now in pairing mode, the Input should find it.
After a short pause, you should see something like the screen we got. Shown next.
In our demo, the Alexa app found our BT speaker, named JBL Xtreme 2.
11. Find your JBL Speaker on the Discovered Devices List
We see our speaker in the list, as pointed at by the green arrow in the last picture.
12. Finally, Pair your Alexa Smart Device with your JBL Xtreme 2
Pair to the BT speaker by tapping the listed speaker in the Bluetooth Setup screen, shown in the last screenshot above.
Alexa then links with the speaker, as seen in the next screenshot.
13. Tap the Cancel Link
To get back to the Device Settings screen, touch the Cancel link. Find it highlighted at the bottom of the screen in the last picture.
The app then takes you back to the Device Settings page for the Alexa device you just paired, as shown next.
Also, our speaker makes a Speaker Paired sound, the three rising guitar notes.
13. Done with How to Pair JBL Xtreme 2 with Alexa !
We have now successfully paired our BT speaker with an Alexa smart device. So we can now ask that Alexa to play music or any other audio content through this JBL speaker.
Other Posts About The JBL Xtreme 2
- How to Put JBL Xtreme 2 in Pairing Mode
- JBL Xtreme 2 Charging Indicator, Battery Indicator Details
- How to Hard Reset JBL Xtreme 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Xtreme 2 Charge Time, How Long for Full Charging
- How to Connect JBL Xtreme 2 to iPhone
Other Posts About Alexa
- How to Get Alexa to Play Spotify Playlists
- Alexa Echo Subwoofer Setup Instructions
- How to Put Echo Dot in Pairing Mode, Amazon Alexa Dot
- Alexa WiFi Setup Instructions for Amazon Echo Speakers
- How to Hook Up Alexa Speaker to New WiFi
Related Posts to How to Pair JBL Xtreme 2 with Alexa
- How to Pair Sony SRS XB12 with Alexa
- Logitech Wonderboom and Alexa Echo, How to Pair
- How to Pair JBL Go 2 with Echo Alexa Speakers
- Pairing JBL Charge 4 with Alexa Echo Speakers
- Harman Kardon Invoke, How to Pair as Bluetooth Speaker
References for How to Pair JBL Xtreme 2 with Alexa
- Amazon Alexa Echo Described at Wikipedia.org
- JBL Xtreme 2 Wireless Speaker Product Page at JBL.com
- Where to Buy the JBL Xtreme 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- 2020-09-16: First published.