This post shows how to pair the Sony SRS XB12 Bluetooth extra bass speaker to a typical Alexa device. We demonstrate this using the Alexa Echo Input smart device. But the same you could also do with an Echo Dot, Spot, or any other Alexa device that supports Bluetooth pairing, which includes just about all of them. Since this Bluetooth connecting happens between the speaker and Alexa strait-line, you need not turn Bluetooth on in the mobile device you’re using to put together this link.
How to Pair Sony SRS XB12 with Alexa
Start with your Sony speaker powered off. Then run through this routine to pair the XB12 to the Alexa device. We’re using an iPad Air tablet to set up this linkage.
1. Find the Alexa app on your Mobile Device
We found the app on an iPadOS iPad Air as shown in the next screenshot. In our case, the Alexa app is on the third home screen page. It’s pointed at by the blue arrow.
2. Run the Alexa App
The app displays its Home screen as shown in the next screenshot.
3. Tap the More (Hamburger) Control
Find the hamburger item in the lower right corner of the screen. This is pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot. Some older versions of the app display this control in the top left corner of the screen.
This brings up the Alexa app’s main menu, as shown in the next screenshot.
4. Tap the Settings Option on the Main Menu to Continue with How to Pair Sony SRS XB12 with Alexa
The Settings option is pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Settings screen, as shown in the next screenshot.
From here, choose which Alexa device you wish to pair to your Sony XB12 speaker. The green arrow in the next picture points at our choice, the Thomas’s Echo Input device.
5. Tap the Alexa Device you Want to Pair to the XB12
This takes you to the device-specific settings screen for the Alexa device you picked.
6. Tap the Bluetooth Devices Item
Find the Bluetooth Devices menu item pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Bluetooth Devices screen, as shown next.
At this point, you’re ready to start a Bluetooth scan by the Alexa unit you just chose for this pairing. In our demo here, our Alexa Input will be the one that scans for Bluetooth devices.
But don’t press the Pair a New Device button just yet. We must first power up the Bluetooth speaker and put it into discovery mode.
7. Turn On your Speaker to Continue with How to Pair Sony SRS XB12 with Alexa
Put down your mobile device for a moment, and turn on your XB12. We turn this speaker on by quickly pressing its Power button. See this button pointed at by the green arrow, in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up. Its status lamp lights up blue, and will flash fast, slow, or stay on solid depending on speaker state. No matter.
But since our Alexa device does not know about this speaker yet, she will not pair with the XB12 automatically.
8. Put your SRS XB12 Sony into Pairing Mode
Now, to allow Alexa to find your XB12, place that speaker in Bluetooth discovery mode by pressing and holding in the Power button, as pointed at by the green arrow above.
When you press and hold the Power button, the Sony XB12 makes a two-tone beep sound to let you know that it’s ready to pair. Release the button at that time. It’s Power lamp also fast flashes to signal that pairing mode is active.
9. Now, Go Back to your Mobile Device
The screen with the blue Pair a New Device button should still be showing, as in the next screenshot.
10. Tap the Blue Pair a New Device Button to Continue with How to Pair Sony SRS XB12 with Alexa
This starts your Alexa device scanning for any nearby Bluetooth devices that are themselves in discovery mode. Since our Sony SRS XB12 speaker is now in discovery mode, the Alexa device should find it.
After a short pause, you should see something like the screen we got. Shown next.
In our demo, the Alexa app found our BT speaker, named SRS XB12.
11. Find your Bluetooth Speaker on the Discovered Devices List
We located our Sony BT speaker in the list, as pointed at by the green arrow in that picture.
12. Finally, Pair your Alexa Device with your XB12
Link to the BT speaker by tapping the listed speaker in the Bluetooth Setup screen, shown in the last screenshot above.
Alexa then pairs with the speaker, as seen in the next screenshot.
13. Tap the Cancel Link
To get back to the Device Settings screen, touch the Cancel link. Find it circled in the last picture.
The app then takes you back to the Device Settings page for the Alexa device you just paired, as shown next.
Also, our speaker makes a Speaker Paired sound.
13. Done with How to Pair the Sony SRS XB12 with Alexa !
We have now successfully paired our XB12 with an Alexa smart device. So we can now ask Alexa to play music or any other audio content through this Sony speaker.
Other Posts About Alexa
- How to Put Echo Dot in Pairing Mode, Amazon Alexa Dot
- Alexa WiFi Setup Instructions for Amazon Echo Speakers
- How to Hook Up Alexa Speaker to New WiFi
- How to Get Alexa to Play Spotify Playlists
- Alexa Echo Subwoofer Setup Instructions
- Resetting Alexa Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker
- How to Restart Alexa Dot Smart Speaker
Related Posts to How to Pair Sony SRS XB12 with Alexa
- How to Pair Logitech Wonderboom with Alexa Echo
- Pairing the Sony SRS XB10 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa
- Wonderboom 2 How to Pair with Alexa
- How to Pair JBL Go 2 with Echo Alexa Speakers
- Pairing JBL Charge 4 with Alexa Echo Speakers
- Harman Kardon Invoke, How to Pair as Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Pair Google Home with Bluetooth Speaker
References for How to Pair the Sony SRS XB12 with Alexa
- Amazon Alexa Echo Described at Wikipedia.org
- Where to Buy Sony SRS XB12 Speaker
- Sony Bluetooth Speakers Product Page at Sony.com
- 2020-09-16: First published.