When you scan for in-range Bluetooth speakers on a phone, desktop computer, or tablet, your Xtreme 2 JBL speaker appears as “JBL Xtreme 2” by default. I.e. Its default Bluetooth name is, “JBL Xtreme 2”. But you can rename this BT speaker using the JBL Connect app along with an iOS or Android mobile device. Thus in the post, we outline the JBL Xtreme 2 change name (rename speaker routine, step by step.
Getting your Devices Ready for the JBL Xtreme 2 Change Name Rename Action
- First, install the JBL Connect app on your Android or iOS mobile device.
- Then, turn on your Xtreme 2 and pair your mobile device with it.
- Then, follow the directions below to change the speaker’s Bluetooth name. This is the name the speaker broadcasts when you put it in discovery or pairing mode.
JBL Xtreme Change Name, How to Rename the JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
1. Find the JBL Connect App on your Mobile Device
The first step is to find our copy of the JBL Connect app. It installed on home screen four here, as shown next. We pointed a green arrow at it.
2. Run the JBL Connect App
Tap the JBL Connect app icon, as shown in the last picture.
After several seconds, you should see the Home screen for your connected speaker, as shown next.
3. Tap the Settings Gear
Touching the Settings gear brings up the JBL Xtreme 2’s Settings page, as shown next.
4. Tap the Edit Name Pencil Control to Continue with How to Rename (Change Name) of JBL Xtreme 2
Find this button highlighted by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
Then, you should see the Enter a New Name for your JBL Speaker screen, as shown next.
5. Edit the Speaker Name Field
Use the displayed virtual keyboard to change the name of the JBL Xtreme 2 to the name to what you want.
In the next screenshots, we change our name from “JBL Xtreme 2” to “Tom’s Xtreme 2”.
First, we backspaced over the default name, as shown next.
Then we typed in our new name for the speaker, as shown next.
6. Tap the Blue Done Button when Finished Editing
Once you’ve changed the speaker name what you want it to be in the edit field, tap the blue Done key in the last row of keys at the bottom of the virtual keyboard.
You then get instructions on how to pair your speaker again with its new name, as shown in the next screenshot.
7. Tap the Blue Got It Button to Continue with How to Rename the JBL Xtreme 2
Tapping the Got It link here takes you back to the Home screen for the speaker. But now, the JBL Xtreme 2 appears with its new name assigned (Now “Tom’s Xtreme 2”, as shown in the next screenshot.
Pairing the JBL Xtreme 2 Speaker with its New Name
With your Xtreme 2 JBL still paired under its old speaker name, run through this routine to unpair it. forget it in your mobile device, and finally, re pair it with its new name.
1. Power Down the JBL Xtreme Speaker
To turn off the speaker, press and release the Power button, as shown next.
Powering down the JBL Xtreme 2 unpairs it from your mobile device.
2. Return your Mobile Device to its Home Screen
Press the Home button on your phone, tablet, or desktop computer, to close the JBL Connect app, and show once again the Home screen.
3. Find the Settings App
We found ours on the second page of the iOS home screen on our iPad Air, as shown next, pointed at by the bright purple arrow.
4. Bring up the Settings App to Continue with How to Change JBL Xtreme 2 Speaker Name
Tap the Settings app icon.
The mobile device then displays the first page of its settings.
5. Go to Bluetooth Settings
Our Bluetooth settings screen displays as follows on our iPad Air tablet. Note that our Bluetooth is enabled here. But since we turned off our JBL Xtreme 2 speaker, it shows as not connected. See this as shown in this list of previously paired Bluetooth devices, shown next.
6. Tap the Blue I Button for That Speaker in the My Devices List
That entry is the next-to-last item on the list in this demo, shown in the last screenshot.
Then, the JBL Xtreme 2 device screen shows, as seen next.
7. Tap the Forget This Device Option to Continue with How to Rename JBL Xtreme 2
When you tap the Forget This Device link, you then get the Forget “JBL Xtreme 2” prompt, as shown next.
8. Tap the Red Forget Device Link
Touching Forget Device removes the old JBL Xtreme 2 connection name from the mobile device. This stops that device from looking for the speaker with that name, the next time you turn its Bluetooth on.
Then, after you hit Forget Device, the system takes you back to the previously paired Bluetooth devices list. That screen looks similar to the following screenshot. Note that the JBL Xtreme 2 entry no longer appears in the Bluetooth devices list.
9. Turn On your JBL Xtreme 2
Turn on the JBL Xtreme 2 by quickly pressing its Power button. See this button pointed at by the green arrow, in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since the JBL Xtreme 2 name change is now in effect, no other nearby Bluetooth devices are aware of the new name yet. So it will not pair with anything. The light that comes on in the Power switch denotes this not-paired state by glowing solid white. No flashing.
10. Next, Put your Speaker into Discovery Mode to Continue with How to Rename JBL Xtreme 2
Now, to see your newly renamed Xtreme 2 speaker on your mobile device, place the speaker into Bluetooth discovery mode. Do this by pressing and releasing the Bluetooth button, as shown in the next picture. The bright green arrow there points at the Bluetooth pairing button.
When you press the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, the Xtreme 2 JBL plays a repeating single pluck guitar note sound several times. Also, the Power button changes from a solid white glow to flashing blue. See this next.
11. Find your JBL Xtreme 2 with its Changed Name on your Mobile Device
See the screen shot next. We found our speaker there. Note that it appears here with its new Bluetooth device name (Tom’s Xtreme 2), as pointed at by the green arrow.
12. Pair with your Newly Named JBL Xtreme 2 Speaker
Tap the listed speaker in the Other Devices portion of the Bluetooth devices list.
Your mobile device then pairs with the JBL Xtreme 2 using its newly assigned name (“Tom’s Xtreme 2” for us in this demo).
Its Bluetooth Settings screen then changes to look something like the following.
13. Done with How to Rename, Change Name of, the JBL Xtreme 2 !
We have now successfully renamed / changed the Bluetooth device name of our JBL Xtreme 2 BT speaker. We’ve also successfully paired it with a mobile device using this new name.
Restoring Default JBL Xtreme 2 Speaker Name
Note that you can restore the original default speaker name by resetting the JBL Xtreme 2.
Or, you can rename the speaker back to the “JBL Xtreme 2” by following the above given routine again, except that THIS time, you enter “JBL Xtreme 2” instead of your new speaker name.
Related Posts to Change Name, Rename the JBL Xtreme 2
- JBL Charge 3 Change Name, How to Rename It
- Change Alexa Name, How to Rename Echo Speakers
- JBL Xtreme Change Name, How to Rename
- How to Rename JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Charge 4 Change Name, How to Rename Speaker
Other Posts About the JBL Xtreme 2 Power Bank Speaker
- How to Hard Reset JBL Xtreme 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart JBL Xtreme 2 Power Bank Speaker
- JBL Xtreme 2 Charging Instructions
- How to Connect JBL Xtreme 2 to iPhone
- JBL Xtreme 2 Firmware Update Instructions
References for How to Rename the JBL Xtreme 2
- 2020-08-11: First published.