Before Replacing Ink Cartridges
1. Buy new, genuine HP ink cartridges. They may be purchased at many office supply stores such as Staples and OfficeMax, places with larger electronics shops such as Walmart, or you may buy them directly from the online HP Store. HP also offers printer cartridge recycling services, which we strongly recommend you use, instead of just throwing the old ink cartridges into the trash.
2. Turn off and unplug the printer. Never open the printer or remove old cartridges with electricity applied.
3. Discharge any static electricity on your body. Touch any grounded metal appliance to get rid of any static buildup. If you do not, you risk damaging your new ink cartridges or the printer itself.
Remove Empty ink cartridges
4. Position yourself in front of the printer.
5. Retract the blue output tray. As shown in the next picture, the paper output tray arm protrudes from the front of the printer.
Slide it into the printer base by gently pushing it from its right side.
6. Open the printer’s front access panel door, as shown next. It has two little grasping latches on its top left and right corners that you gently pull toward you with your index fingers.
7. Open the inner access door. Just inside the front outer access panel, is the inner access door, behind which are the printer’s ink cartridges. Gently grasp the inner access panel via its handle in its top center, and gently pull toward you.
8. Remove old ink cartridges. Grasp each cartridge at its top protruding lip and gently pull towards you. You’ll feel a sort of click as the locking mechanism releases each cartridge.
Install New Printer Cartridges
9. Gently wipe cartridge socket contacts with a clean, lint free cloth. Be VERY gentle. The contacts are the shiny gold dots in the back of the ink cartridge socket, which can bee seen in the previous picture, in the exposed socket on the right. Incomplete printing, light printing, missing colors on the page, and such, may result if these contacts become soiled or damaged.
10. Unpack new ink cartridges. You should be using genuine HP Invent ink cartridges, model number 63 for these printers, as shown next.
11. Remove tape from new ink cartridges. Do not, however, peel off this tape until moments before you’re ready to install. Opening the cartridges and then leaving them sit around not installed, risks ink leakage, dust contamination, or possible damage to its internal components. So, avoid removing the tape until you’re just about to install each one.
12. Insert new printer cartridges. The color cartridge (the one with the maroon top) goes in the left socket as shown in the next picture, and the black one goes in the right cartridge socket.
13. Close the printer inner access door. Raise and snap into place the inner access panel door.
14. Close the outer access door panel.
15. You’re done!
Recycle Your Old Ink Cartridges, Please!
See the HP Ink Cartridge Recycling Center web site for details on how to return your spent HP printer cartridges to them, for environmentally friendly recycling or disposal. DO NOT dispose ink cartridges in the regular trash, as they’re generally not biodegradable, and could potentially contaminate water and food supplies if not recycled properly.
- How to Install HP DeskJet 3630 Series Wireless Printer
- How to Reset HP Printer, 3630 Series DeskJet
- HP Deskjet 3630 Series Ink Cartridges Details
- HP DeskJet 3632 Printer Unboxing
- HP DeskJet 3632 Wireless Setup Instructions
- 2017-01-24: Originally published.