You may wish to factory reset the Alexa Echo Gen 2 smart speaker. Why? Because perhaps you wish to sell your old one to another. Or maybe you just want to connect it to a different Amazon account, or to a new wireless network. So, with those tasks in mind, this post covers how to reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 smart speakers. For that, do the steps next.
Resetting unlinks the Echo 2 from its current Amazon Alexa account. Reset also assures that the 2nd gen Echo forgets its current Wi-Fi settings.
Warning: After the reset, your 2nd gen Echo speaker will not work until set up again.
How to Reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker
1. Plug Echo 2 Speaker into AC Power
Firstly, connect the Echo Dot 2 to its USB power supply. The light ring then lights blue for a time, and then goes out. After it goes dark, boot up has finished.
The next picture shows this Echo speaker standing by, ready for reset.
2. Press the Echo Gen 2 Speaker Reset Button Combo
See our Where is the Reset Button on Amazon Generation 2 Echo Smart Speaker Located post, for details on how to find the reset button on this unit. We show where these buttons are in the next picture.
Wait for the light ring to go dark. Then, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons at the same time for five to ten seconds.
3. Wait for the Echo 2 Hard Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes dark for some seconds, and then turns orange-yellow, as shown next.
Finally, your Echo Gen 2 smart speaker is now back to factory default settings. After reset, it enters setup mode, as shown by the circling orange-yellow blip on the light ring.
4. Set Up Again, or Pack Up
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo 2 to someone else. But do not fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. They will not. Indeed, factory reset erased those prior values from the Echo 2 speaker.
Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit stays in setup mode until someone runs the setup routine. Thus, the Echo 2 will not work until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
5. Done with How to Reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 !
Other Posts About the Amazon Echo 2 Smart Speakers
- AC Power Adapter Specs for the Amazon Echo Generation 2 Alexa Smart Speaker
- Amazon Echo Gen 2 Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Unboxing and Connecting The Amazon Echo Generation 2 Smart Speaker
- Where is the Reset Button on Amazon Generation 2 Echo Smart Speaker Located
Related Posts to How to Reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 Speaker
- How to Reset Google Home Mini Speaker
- How to Reset JBL Flip 5 Portable Speaker
- Reset Echo Dot Speaker Assistant, How To
- How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot to Factory Settings
- Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF, How To
Other Posts About Amazon Echo Alexa
- How to Find Echo Spot IP Address, for Amazon Alexa Spot Speaker
- Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot
- How to Pair JBL Xtreme with Amazon Alexa Echo Speakers
- Echo Spot Change WiFi Instructions, Amazon Alexa
- AC Adapter Specs for Amazon Echo Generation 1 Alexa
References for How to Reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2
- 2019-04-18: Beefed up the targeting. Shortened post URL. Added tags. Removed ad code.
- 2017-12-07: Originally published.