Note that if you’re just trying to correct strange behavior of the Amazon Echo speaker, a complete factory reset may be too drastic a measure because a full hard reset means that you’ll have to completely reconfigure your speaker to connect to your Wi-Fi network, which Amazon account it’s registered under, and several other settings as well.
So, before resetting, try powering off the unit for fifteen seconds, by disconnecting its USB power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the unit itself. Wait for a quarter minute, and then connect it back up. This often restores proper operation. However, if not, read on for the proper hard reset procedure that restores the Dot to factory default parameters.
You may decide to sell or give your Amazon Echo speaker to another person. or wish to link it to a different Amazon account, or connect it to a different Wi-Fi network. Perform the following procedure to unlink this device from its current Amazon Alexa account, assure that it forgets the WiFi connection information stored within, and to restore the 2nd Generation Dot to factory default (fresh out of the box) values.
Once reset, you’ll no longer be able to control the Amazon Echo speaker from the account where you controlled it from before, unless you run through the setup procedure again, and relink it to that account via the Alexa app.
How to Reset Amazon Echo Gen 1 Speaker to Factory Default Settings
- Attach power cable. Connect the Echo speaker to its included power supply adapter. Wait for speaker to power up and for the light ring to either go out or turn purple (purple means that it did not connect to a Wi-Fi network).
- Press reset button. The reset button is located on the bottom (underside) of the Echo speaker. Use a pen or straightened safety pin to press and hold the reset button in for five to ten seconds, until the light ring changes color.
- Release the reset button. Once the ring flashes, the reset operation is now in progress. So you need no longer hold in the reset button.
- Wait for reset operation to complete. After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
- What happens after reset? Your Amazon Echo speaker has now been restored to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
- Pack it up or set it up. Feel free now to give your speaker to another without fear that they’ll be able to access your Alexa settings on your Amazon account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account. Once in setup mode, the unit remains that way until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo speaker will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
- AC Power Adapter Specs for the Original Amazon Echo Generation 1 Alexa Smart Speaker
- How to Adjust Volume on Amazon Echo 1st Gen Smart Speaker
- Restart Amazon Echo Instructions, How to Restart Amazon Echo Speaker
- How to Connect Amazon Alexa Echo Smart Speaker to Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Force a Firmware Update on the Amazon Echo Alexa Smart Speakers
- How to Reboot Amazon Echo Speaker
- Resetting Google Home Mini Speaker Instructions
- How to Set the Sleep Timer on Original Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 1 Smart Speaker
- Original Amazon Echo Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button
- Yes, You Can Change Alexa’s Name, Here’s How
- Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings, How To Hard Reset
- 2017-12-12: Added picture, showing the location of the reset button on the original Echo Alexa smart speaker.
- 2017-01-20: Originally published.