Now that the 1st Generation Amazon Echo Dot is no longer the most recent version of this smart speaker, you may be thinking about upgrading to the newer speakers. So, you may wish to reset Echo Dot 1st Generation smart speaker to sell or gift your old one to a stranger buyer. Or perhaps you just want to link it to a different Amazon account, or connect it to a different wireless network. In either case, we’re here to help.
In order to reset your Dot, and restore its factory default settings, perform the following steps. Resetting unlinks this Dot from its current Amazon Alexa account, and assures that it forgets its current Wi-Fi connection parameters.
Note that you may not need to reset if you just want to fix erratic behavior. This before doing a full reset, try powering off the Echo Dot 1st Generation speaker for fifteen seconds. Do this by disconnecting its USB power cable either from the AC wall outlet, or unplugging the cable from the speaker itself. Wait a quarter minute, and then power it on again. Power cycling in this way often makes your speaker work well again. But if the problem persists, read below for the proper hard reset procedure.
Warning: Once reset, you’ll lose control of the speaker from the Amazon account where you managed it from before. To get that control back, run through the setup procedure again, and re link it to that account via the Alexa app.
This Dot has entered setup mode when the light ring turns orange, which means that the reset operation has finished successfully.
How to Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation
1. Connect to Wall Power
Connect the Echo Dot 1st Generation Alexa speaker to its USB power. The light ring will light up blue for a time, and then go out.
2. Press the Echo Dot 1st Generation Reset Button
Once the light ring goes completely dark, use a straightened paper clip to press and hold the recessed Reset button for approximately five to ten seconds, until the light ring turns orange, and then blue.
3. Wait for the Reset to Complete
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Done with How to Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation !
Your Echo Dot 1st Generation speaker has now been restored to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
5. Set up your Echo Dot 1st Generation Again, or Pack it Up for Sale
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo Dot to someone else without fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. Those prior values have now been erased from the your Echo Dot. Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo Dot will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
Related Posts to How to Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation
- Resetting Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 2nd Gen to Factory Default
- Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings, How To Hard Reset
- Amazon Echo Dot Smart Speaker Review, Gen 2
- Change WiFi Network on Amazon Echo Dot
- Restart Echo Dot Instructions, How to Restart Echo Dots
- How to Link Pandora to Echo Dot Speaker, Play Pandora Through Alexa Echo Dot
- JBL Xtreme Reset Instructions – How to Reset JBL Xtreme Speaker
- How to Reset JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Use Echo Dot as Bluetooth Speaker, How To
- How to Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings
References for How to Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation
- 2019-04-20: Added tags. Shortened post URL.
- 2018-12-13: First published.