Here, we show how to reset the Echo Dot 3rd Generation smart speaker back to factory default settings. So why would you ever reset ? Well, you may wish to sell or give this speaker to another person. Or link it to a new Amazon account. Or connect it to a new WiFi network. In all these cases, resetting is the best way to clean out all old account data from the Dot. A reset gets it ready to use on a new account and / or WiFi network. So to reset the speaker, and unlink it from its current Alexa account, run through the routine below.
Do not always reset as a first step for fixing strange Echo Dot 3rd generation speaker behavior. Before resetting, try turning off the speaker for fifteen seconds. Do this by unplugging its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the speaker itself. Then, wait for a quarter minute. Then plug it back in. Rebooting often restores proper working. But if not, read on for the proper reset procedure.
Once you reset the speaker, you’ll no longer be able to control the speaker from your Amazon account. To get control of it back, run through the setup procedure again. There, relink the Dot 3 to that account again via the Alexa app.
How to Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation to Factory Settings
1. Attach Wall Power Cable
First, connect the speaker to its 12-volt power adapter cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the AC Cord into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the unit to finish booting. It’s done booting when either the light ring goes dark, or it begins flashing orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for 5 to 10 Seconds to Continue with How to Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation to Factory Settings
Press the Action button until the light ring turns orange. You should also hear the speaker say that it is entering Setup mode. On this speaker, the Action button doubles as the Reset button, and is pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Reset?
Your Echo Dot 3rd Generation smart speaker is now restored to its factory default settings. It also has entered Setup mode, as shown next.
5. Done with How to Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation to Factory Settings !
Pack it Up or Set it Up Again
You may now give your 3rd generation Echo Dot to another now. Don’t fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your Amazon account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account. But if selling, we suggest that you pack the speaker in its original carton. Do this for safest transport through the mail, as shown in the next picture. Then, pack the Echo box in another outer box for further safety.
Other Posts About the Echo Dot 3rd Generation Smart Speaker
Related Posts to How to Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation to Factory Settings
- How to Reset the JBL Charge 5 Speaker
- Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings
- How to Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings
- Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation to Factory Settings
- How to Reset Original Google Home Smart Speaker to Factory Default Settings
References for How to Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation to Factory Settings
- All-new Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa, on Amazon.com
- What is Amazon Echo? on Wikipedia
- 2020-07-13: First published.