A reset Honeywell thermostat settings erases all user changed settings. Resetting also removes lock screen passwords and screen color changes et al. Resetting restores this Honeywell RTH9580WF touchscreen thermostat to factory default condition. You reset by following the routine below. We suggest this reset Honeywell thermostat settings action when fixing smart thermostat issues as well. Why? Because resetting rules out the likelihood that wrong settings are causing the RTH9580WF to act strangely. The problem often goes away after reset.
Keep in mind though, that after reset, the RTH9580WF forgets any user added settings. So you’ll have to enter your WiFi and furnace info again. Also, the RTH9580WF gets rid of custom program schedules you’ve entered. Thus, resetting returns the RTH9580WF to the default daily heating and cooling schedules. So again, you may need to set them again to your specific needs, if you have any.
Before Reset Honeywell Thermostat Settings on the RTH9580WF Remote Controlled Thermostat
Before resetting, get the RTH9580WF booklet. The RTH9580WF package includes this pamphlet. But if you’ve lost yours, find it online at Honeywell’s web site.
Write down the program in the RTH9580WF if you’ve changed it from the default program.
Then, run through the menus. Record any settings that you’ve changed for your heating / cooling systems. These include filter-change reminders, fan mode, WiFi network data, system type, thermostat name, location, et al.
How to Do a Reset Honeywell Thermostat Settings Procedure on the RTH9580WF
Go to the Main Menu
Tap the Menu button on the touch screen, as shown above at the top right side of the screen. Then, scroll down by pressing the down arrow key. Then, stop at the Preferences button, as shown next.
Tap the Preferences Button
Tapping the Preferences button brings up that screen. When you see it, scroll with the down-arrow key. Then stop at the “Restore Factory Defaults” button as circled in red in the next picture.
Then, Tap the Restore Factory Defaults Button
Tap the “Restore Factory Defaults” button. The RTH9580WF them prompts you to say that you indeed want to hard reset, as shown next.
Next, Tap the Green Yes Button to Continue with How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat Settings
WARNING: Tapping this button erases all user settings and info in the RTH9580WF. So DO NOT reset until you know this data. Don’t go ahead until you’re sure that you can set it up with your furnace / HVAC system details. Get help from a climate control worker if unsure.
Now if you clearly wish to erase all settings, tap the green Yes button. Or, press the red No button.
Then, pressing the Yes button, starts the RTH9580WF resetting. The display shows the Restoring Factory Default Settings screen for some seconds, as shown next.
Next, the RTH9580WF Resets its Settings to Factory Default Values
After a few to ten seconds, the screen goes dark, as the RTH9580WF reboots. Then, the boot screen, showing the Honeywell logo shows next, as seen below.
Next, the RTH9580WF Reboots Once Reset Completes
After boot-up, the RTH9580WF gets ready for new settings data from you. While it works, it shows the Please Wait screen as follows.
Then, the RTH9580WF Enters Setup Mode
Finally, the RTH9580WF asks for some starting data. Why? Because it needs this to work after reset, as shown next.
Follow the prompts to enter that data about your WiFi network and furnace system.
You have now reset your RTH9580WF back to factory default settings.
Other Posts About the Honeywell Thermostat
- How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF to Factory Default
- Fixing WiFi Problems on Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
- How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Setting
- 7 Day Programmable Thermostat Reviews
- How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Google Home
- Programmable Thermostat Pros and Cons
- How to Clear Settings on Honeywell Thermostat
- How to Clear Schedule on Honeywell Thermostat
- Setting Temperature Differential, Honeywell Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF
- How to Register Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Online
- Honeywell Dial Thermostat Pictures
- How to Remove Hold on Honeywell Thermostat
- Solving Honeywell Thermostat Connection Problems
- How to Reconnect Honeywell Thermostat to WiFi
- Honeywell Touchscreen Thermostat RTH7600D Review
- How to Restart Honeywell Thermostat
References for How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat Settings
- Additional Info on WiFi Thermostats from Honeywell
- Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Solutions web site
- What is a Programmable Thermostat? on Wikipedia
- 2019-05-07: Removed ad scripts, added tags, and tuned the targeting for ‘Reset Honeywell Thermostat Settings’.
- 2017-03-14: Originally published.