This post gives reset WiFi instructions for a typical Honeywell thermostat. For most t-stats, the best way to reset the WiFi settings on them is to just do a factory default reset, and so, that’s what we’ll do here. We demonstrate this on the RTH9580WF wireless Honeywell thermostat. This method does the following.
- First of all, it clears out all custom settings.
- Then, it resets the WiFi network.
- Finally, it restores the WiFi thermostat back to factory default state.
So, follow the steps below, to hard reset most any Honeywell WiFi thermostat.
We suggest these directions when fixing problems. Resetting the WiFi in this way also cuts the chance that faulty settings are causing the t-stat to act funny.
But after doing this, the t-stat forgets any programmed settings. So you must re enter your WiFi network name and password again. Also, your custom schedules, if any, will disappear as well. Resetting returns the Honeywell WiFi thermostat to the built-in heating and cooling routines. So again, you might want to adjust them again for to your specific needs.
Before you Start with How to Reset WiFi on Honeywell Thermostat
Get your Manual
Before restoring to factory default settings, gather your t-stat manual that shipped with it. Or, find it online at Honeywell’s web site.
Write Down the Current Thermostat Program Schedule
Jot the current daily program schedule currently stored in the t-stat. Do this if you’ve changed it from the default schedule.
Record any other Settings you’ve Changed from Default
Then, run down through the menus in the t-stat. Jot any settings that you changed prior that let the Honeywell WiFi thermostat work with your furnace. These include filter-change reminders, WiFi network connection info, system type, t-stat name, location, et al.
How to Reset WiFi on Honeywell Thermostat Step by Step
1. First, Tap the Menu Button on the Touchscreen
Find this button in the picture above, at the top right corner of the screen.
Then, scroll down by pressing the down arrow key, until you see the Preferences button, as shown next.
2. Then, Tap the Preferences Button
When the Preferences screen appears, scroll with the down-arrow key. Look for the Restore Factory Defaults button. We circled this in red in the next picture.
3. Then, Tap the Restore Factory Defaults Button to Continue with How to Reset WiFi on Honeywell Thermostat
The thermostat then prompts you to confirm that you surely want to restore the thermostat, as shown next.
4. Then Confirm that you Want to Reset the WiFi on the Thermostat
WARNING: Tapping the green Yes button next, erases all user specific settings. So do not reset until you feel that you can set it up again after. Get help from a climate control specialist if you’re unsure.
If you wish to proceed, then tap the green Yes button. Otherwise, tap the red No button.
When you press Yes, the display then shows the Restoring Factory Default Settings screen for a bit, as shown next.
Then, after boot-up, the t-stat prepares to get new data from you. While it does this, it shows the Please Wait screen as follows.
5. Enter New Startup Data at the Prompts to Continue with How to Reset WiFi on Honeywell Thermostat
Then, the Honeywell WiFi thermostat prompts you to enter some initial settings. Finally, this allows it to start up with working default values, as shown next.
After WiFi reset, follow the prompts. They ask for info about your WiFi network and HVAC system.
6. Done with How to Reset WiFi on Honeywell Thermostat !
At last, you have now restored your Honeywell WiFi thermostat to factory default settings.
Other Posts About Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
- How to Clear Schedule on Honeywell Thermostat
- Honeywell Smart WiFi Thermostat Manual RTH9580WF
- Fixing WiFi Problems on Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
- How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Setting
- Echo Spot WiFi Setup Instructions
- How to Register Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH9580WF Online
- Unregister Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF Instructions
- Solving Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Connection Problems
- How to Reconnect Honeywell Thermostat to WiFi
- Set Temperature Range Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
- How to Fix Honeywell Thermostat Not Following Schedule
Related Posts to How to Reset WiFi on Honeywell Thermostat
References for How to Reset WiFi on Honeywell Thermostat
- 2020-10-09: First published.