Shows how to restart the Chromecast Audio receiver device. Now you may wish to do this if you notice the following.
- It shows poor or slow performance.
- The receiver does not play when you cast to it.
- It emits strange noises through the attached speakers.
- It breaks up, chirps, pops, or squeals.
Always try a Chromecast Audio device restart first (described here), as this often clears up many problems, and avoids the unnecessary action of hard resetting your receiver.
How to Restart Chromecast Audio Method One: The Local Method
To restart Chromecast Audio if you’re near it, you can do the following.
- Unplug it from AC power.
- Wait ten seconds.
- Then plug it back in.
The best way is to unplug the far end of the USB cord from the AC outlet.
The Chromecast Audio will finish rebooting in less than a minute after you plug it back in.
How to Restart Chromecast Audio Method Two: The Remote Method
But perhaps you are far away from your Chromecast Audio receiver. E.g. Maybe you are downstairs from it. In that case, you can send a restart command to it via the Google Home app as follows. Plus, you don’t have to get near it.
This method depends on the following.
- You need the Google Home app on your phone or tablet.
- The app must also link to the same Google account as the Chromecast device to restart.
- You must connect your phone or tablet to the same local network as the Chromecast Audio.
If all of that is in place, then do the following, to effect a remote device restart.
1. Run the Google Home App on your Tablet or Phone
We’re using an iPad Air computer tablet in this demo. And, this app is located on page three of the iPad’s home screen, although yours may appear in a different location, depending on how many apps you have installed as well as how you might have arranged them.
Upon running this app, the Google home screen appears, as follows.
2. Tap the Hamburger Menu Control
This control is found in the top left corner of the Home app Home screen, as pointed at in the last picture by the pink arrow.
So tapping the Hamburger control brings up the main menu as shown next.
3. Tap the Devices Menu Item
This brings up a list of your local Google devices that have been configured on the current Google account, as shown next for our case.
4. Find the Chromecast Audio Device you Wish to Restart
Look for that Chromecast by scrolling down through the list until you find it. We currently only have one of these, called “bedroom speakers.” So we found ours straight away, as shown next.
5. Tap the Chromecast Audio Device’s Hamburger Menu Control
Fine that control menu link in the top right corner of the Chromecast Audio card, as shown inside the purple circle in the last picture.
The Chromecast’s control menu then appears, as shown next.
6. Tap the Reboot Menu Item
The Reboot option is circled in purple in the previous picture. The Reboot Confirmation dialog then displays, something like that shown in the next picture.
7. Tap the REBOOT Link in the Reboot Confirmation Dialog Box
This initiates a remote restart of your Chromecast receiver, closes the reboot confirmation dialog box, and returns you to the Devices List screen. Your receiver will temporarily disappear from this screen as it restarts, and will reappear once the restart finishes.
Note the light on your Chromecast Audio device. It should indicate that a restart is in progress within thirty seconds of your issuing the command, by turning from white to orange, as shown next. The purple arrow points at the orange pilot lamp in the next picture.
8. Done with How to Restart Chromecast Audio !
Once the receiver again appears in the Devices List in the Home app, and its pilot light has turned from orange back to white again, restart has finished successfully, and you can once again try casting to it. Hopefully, restarting the unit has solved any issues you were having. But if not, you can always try more drastic measures, such as resetting your Chromecast, and then setting it up again.
Other Posts About the Chromecast Audio Receiver
- How to Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings
- Chromecast Audio Equalizer Adjust Bass Treble
- How to Connect Google Chromecast Audio
- Reboot Chromecast Audio Instructions, How To
- Chromecast Audio Power Supply Specs
- Google Chromecast Audio Unboxing, Step by Step
- Reset Button on Google Chromecast Audio, Where Is It
- Chromecast Audio Factory Reset Instructions
Related Posts to How to Restart Chromecast Audio
- How to Restart Echo Dot Smart Speaker
- How to Restart Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- Restarting Charge 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- Restarting the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Google Home Speaker
- Restarting Google Home Mini Speaker
- How to Restart JBL Go 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Restart Samsung Galaxy J7 Android Phone, How To
- Restart Honeywell Thermostat, How To
- How to Restart Alexa Echo Dot, Amazon Dot
- Restart Alexa Smart Speaker, How To
- How to Restart Alexa Dot Smart Speaker
- How to Restart JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth Speaker
- Restarting JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Alexa Echo Dot Speaker
- Restart Amazon Echo Dot Speaker, How To
- How to Restart JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Force Restart Samsung J7
References for How to Restart Chromecast Audio
- 2020-06-29: First published.