How to tell if Sony SRS XB12 wireless BT speaker is charging? This extra bass speaker has an orange LED light on its rear side panel, near the bottom, as shown in the picture above. This light flashes orange when the battery is nearly dead. So it also tells battery level (to a degree). To see if the XB12 is charging, check out this lamp. We explain how to read it next.
Summary of How to Tell that the Sony SRS XB12 is Charging
- Connected and working power cable is present.
- The CHG light glows steadily.
- The speaker and charger typically heat slightly.
- The CHG lamp eventually goes out.
- This lamp does not flash after a charge, which means that some level of charging did take place.
How to Tell if the Sony SRS XB12 Speaker is Charging
Connect your XB12 to USB Power
Of course, you can rest assured that the speaker is NOT charging with no power cable plugged in.
Check that the CHG LED is Glowing Orange
When the speaker is powered OFF, you can tell if the Sony SRS XB12 is charging if this light glows steady orange. This solid glow occurs while charging, when the speaker is either powered on, paired, OR, powered OFF. When not connected to a charger, this light blinks when the battery has about run entirely out of power.
If the SRS XB12 CHG lamp glows steady or flashes when the power cord is connected, then the speaker may not be charging. So you should check that your USB cable, adapter charger, and power source are in working order. Try a new adapter or a known good cord. You want this light glowing solid to know for sure that the XB12 is charging.
Additionally, the bottom of the Sony SRS XB12 warms slightly as the speaker charges, as do most of the charger adapters you run it with. This heating is a great sign to tell if the speaker is indeed charging.
As speaker charging advances toward finish, the CHG LED continues glowing. But unlike some of the higher grade wireless speakers, the XB12 gives no reading of just how far along its recharging is, just that the recharging is in progress.
When the CHG LED Goes Out or, Charging is Done
The battery charge cycle is finished when the CHG LED goes dark.
Even with the charger cord still plugged in, and when the XB12 is powered down, this lamp stops glowing entirely when the internal battery is full, as shown in the last picture above. The speaker no longer recharges when the battery reaches full charge condition and this light shuts off.
Finally, Unplug the Sony SRS XB12 and Turn it On
With the USB cable disconnected, we cannot know just by reading the CHG or Status LEDs, just how much the SRS XB12 actually recharged, only that it did charge some. It probably did recharge to full though, as long as we waited until the CHG lamp stopped glowing before unplugging the charger.
Other Posts About the Sony SRS XB12 BT Speaker
- Sony SRS XB12 Battery Indicator Charging Light
- How to Connect Sony SRS XB12 to iPhone
- Factory Hard Resetting the Sony SRS XB12 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Pair Sony SRS XB12 Extra Bass Speaker
Related Posts to How to Tell if Sony SRS XB12 is Charging
- How to Tell if JBL Xtreme is Charging
- Telling if JBL Go 2 Is Charging, How to Read the Charging Light
- How to Tell if JBL Clip 2 is Charging
- JBL Clip 3 Buttons Guide, Buttons Layout, Purpose, and How to Use Them
- How to Tell if JBL Flip 2 is Charging
References for How to Tell if Sony SRS XB12 is Charging
- How do I Know if my Speaker is Charging, at BestBuy.com
- Sony Bluetooth Speakers Product Page at Sony.com
- 2020-08-26: First posted.