You may wish unlink (remove, delete) your Pandora account from a Google Home Speaker due to one or more of the following:
- You like different versions of music than what Pandora offers, and so, you temporarily wish to remove Pandora from your list of searchable music station sources. Then, the streams you request will not be found by Google Home on Pandora, but instead, on one or more of your other active music services, which DO offer your desired song versions.
- You’ve cancelled your Pandora subscription, and want to get rid of its remnants from your Google Home app settings, to reduce clutter.
- You’re giving the Google Home speaker to your parent, and wish to prevent him / her from learning what sorts of station streams you listen to. Yet you still wish to allow access to other music services set up on your Google account.
These unlink instructions assume that you’ve previously set up and linked a Pandora account to your Google Home assistant. If you have not, then you do not yet need this information until after you have. But if so, then read on.
So, to get your tablet ready for this work, be sure the Google Home app has been installed and linked to the Google account on which the Pandora account you wish to unlink is configured. Then, perform the following instructions:
1. Locate the Google Home app on your tablet. On our iOS based iPad, this app is located on page three of the home screen, as illustrated in the next picture by the pink arrow. You can only remove Pandora from the speaker via the Google Home tablet app currently.
2. Run the Google Home app. Tap the Google Home app icon on the tablet home screen. After a short pause, the app displays its home screen, as shown next.
3. Tap the hamburger link. Located in the top left corner of the home screen, as pointed at by the pink arrow in the previous picture. The Google Home app then displays its main menu, as shown next.
4. Tap the Music link on the main menu screen, pointed at by the pink arrow in the just previous picture. The Music Service Choices screen then appears, as shown below.
5. Tap the Unlink item in the Music Services list for Pandora, as displayed in the previous picture. Then, you get the Pandora Unlink Confirmation screen as shown next.
6. Finally, tap the UNLINK button in that confirmation window as pointed at by the pink arrow above. This removes your Pandora account information from the Google Home app and associated speaker devices, and then returns you to the Music Service Choices screen, as displayed in the next step.
If however, you encounter an error message, someone else, who shares your Google account, may have already deleted your Pandora profile for you. If concerned, check with those who has access, just to be sure that the information was not removed due to any sort of security breach.
7. Verify that the Pandora music service has indeed been unlinked from your Pandora account. On the Music Service Choices screen, find the Pandora entry, and look just beneath it. If you see a blue LINK option, then your Pandora account information has indeed been successfully purged from Google Home. See the next picture for the location of that link, as indicated by the pink arrow.
However, if this link still displays as UNLINK, then the information was not properly removed. In that case, jump back up to step 1, and try running through this procedure again, paying close attention to any error messages that might appear along the way.
You can also verify that your Google Home speaker no longer plays music from Pandora, by requesting a station through it, that would normally play from Pandora. For example, try something like
“Okay Google, play 1970s on Pandora.”
If your Pandora profile has successfully been removed from the Google Home assistant, she’ll reply,
“Your music account needs to be linked first. You can do that in the Google Home app.”
8. You’re done! But if you change your mind, and would like to reinstate Pandora streaming on your Google smart speakers, then simply add back your Pandora account info into Google Home. See our piece Pandora Setup on Google Home Speaker Instructions for details on how to do that.
- Google Home Smart Speaker Review
- Google Home Speaker Assistant Setup Instructions, Tips, Procedures, Help
- How to Reboot Google Home Speaker
- Original Google Home Wi-Fi Smart Speaker Picture Gallery
- Pandora Setup on Google Home Speaker Instructions
- 2017-01-27: Updated tags list.
- 2017-01-17: Originally published.