While fixing squeaky wooden glider rocking chairs, we needed to buy a socket wet that has popular sizes, found around the house, and appear frequently in glider rockers. Well, this Husky 16-Piece Universal Socket Wrench Set filled the bill nicely. It cost around $30, is guaranteed forever, features nearly all metal construction, and has a hardened shank on the wrench itself.
Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages
- Handy plastic holder. Snap-in places for all pieces, that tightly secure them to prevent loss, and simplifies putting away this tool wen you’re finished with it.
- Standard driver. Comes with a rugged 3/8′ teardrop driver wrench that has a 72-tooth ratchet. Works with chucks from other wrench sets.
- Common socket sizes, both English and metric. Comes with 14 universal sockets. English (SAE) sizes include: 5/16”, 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8”, and 11/16”. Metric (MM) sizes include: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 18mm.
- Chrome plated. This increases resistance to rusting, and makes each piece highly reflective. So its easy to spot on dark floors in tool chests.
- Hardened shank. The ratchet appears to have a black iron, case-hardened bit that snaps into the sockets. Strong enough to tighten or loosen the toughest nuts.
- Sockets fit a variety of standard nuts and fasteners. These include: E-Torx, square / box nuts, 6-point, 12-point, 6-point 50% rounded, and spline.
- Sure grip sockets. Each socket bit is deep enough to securely fit over top of the nut or fastener, and grabs it strongly. No slippage or nut-stripping grinding when loosening frozen nuts; even if you tap the driver handle with a hammer.
- Limited forever warranty. For details on this lifetime+ guarantee, call 1-800-HD-HUSKY (1-800-444-8759).
- Affordable. We paid roughly $30 for ours at Home Depot, and did not mind doing so, since given how well this set is constructed, we should never have to bay another.
- Decent availability. You can get Husky tools like this ratchet set at Home Depot, Amazon, eBay, et al.
Disadvantages, Drawbacks, Problems, and Limitations
- Not made in the US. Actually, our copy of this universal socket set was manufactured in Taiwan.
- Not insulated. All parts of this set are made of practically all metal, and so, can conduct electricity. So avoid working on live circuits, due to the risk of electric shock, or making short circuits, should a piece fall into energized equipment.
- Easily scratched finish. Be careful not to drop these pieces on stones or concrete too many times, lest you mar or dull the silvery chrome finish. However, in work environments where ratchets are typically used (garages, assembly plants, basements, and pavilions), there’s plenty of opportunity to drop them. At least, this set is cheap enough to replace eventually, if it becomes too dull for your liking. Plus, the state of the chrome finish does not affect how well this tool functions. It works great, dull or briht.
Uses for Universal Socket Sets
Every apartment dweller or home owner could benefit from having a universal ratchet set like this one from Husky Tools in their tool box or garage. Here’s a list of some of the jobs we’ve tackled successfully with our sockets. This equipment typically contains bolts and nuts that can be worked with this socket set.
- Repairing small appliances such as box fans, oscillating fans, dorm style small refrigerators, blenders, televisions, computers, table radios, air conditioners, space heaters, baseboard heaters, console humidifiers, movie toaster ovens, projectors, computer CRT monitors, boom box stereo systems, food processors, griddles, and percolators.
- Fixing major appliances such as upright freezers and refrigerators, furnaces, stoves, clothes washers and dryers, convection ovens, microwave ovens, heat pumps, console humidifiers and dehumidifiers, dishwashers, garbage disposals, and trash compactors.
- Furniture repairs of glider rocking chairs, couches, love seats, dining tables, dinner chairs, computer stands, file cabinets, ottomans, hassocks, recliners, rollaway beds, waterbeds, peer cabinets, dressers, chests, shelves, mirrors, and headboards.
- Maintaining outdoor power tools such as lawnmowers, lawn tractors, edge trimmers, weed whackers, leaf blowers, sheers, clippers, grass catchers,
- Home maintenance and remodeling tasks such as sealing furnace ductwork, tightening door frames, and securing windows and screens, and deck building.
- Small automotive repairs and enhancements including headlight and taillight replacement, door removal and installation, seat removal and re installation, car stereo installation, auto battery replacement,
- Assembling those some-assembly-required items like engines, bookshelves, patio sets, swing sets, bicycles, sliding boards, numerous toys, rocking horses, trikes, and picnic tables.
This tool set is about as universally useful in the workshop as the saucepan is in the kitchen. With the sorts of items we repair, we find that almost every one requires either a nut driver or socket set like this one, to work on. So, it never sits on the shelf too long, collecting dust. It’s cheap to buy, lasts virtually forever, and is indispensable in our shops. It rises to every work challenge, and surpasses it usually. So we’d rate this Husky socket set at 96 out of 100. It’s a good tool to possess.
- Husky Tools on Wikipedia
- Husky Tools Web Site
- Where to buy the Husky 16-Piece Universal Socket Wrench Set. We got ours at Home Depot.
- 2015-12-15: Added more appropriate tags.
- 2015-10-06: Added appropriate tags.
- 2015-01-19: Originally published.