When the Power button on your JBL Boombox 2 speaker is not working, this likely means one or more things.
- Defective Speaker. Your speaker is faulty. In this case, get a replacement speaker.
- Stale Battery. The battery inside no longer recharges due to extra old age, repeated overcharging, or heavy use. To solve this, replace the battery with one that provides 7.4 volts at 10.4 amp hours (76.96 watt-hours).
- Broken AC Adapter. Your charger cable is defective. To solve this, substitute a working charger for the suspected bad one. The speaker should then power up once more. This AC adapter needs to provide 24 volts at 4.2 amps (100.8 watts).
- Dirty Power Button. It’s possible that sand, dirt, corrosion, or other debris have found their way into the contacts for this button. If so, try blowing out, brushing, and polishing these contacts to see if this corrects the button not working issue.
- Broken Switch Panel. The buttons panel is defective. Replace this with a new one. These parts are often available at eBay.
- The Service Mode is Active. You accidently put your speaker into service mode a.k.a. secret or weird mode.
So, assuming that the speaker is okay, we discuss here the last possibility. That is, how to get your JBL Boombox 2 out of service mode.
JBL Boombox 2 Power Button Not Working: Service Mode Details
First, when in this (often called ‘weird’ or ‘secret’) mode, the speaker can power ON. This speaker does indeed run on the internal battery while in Service mode. Furthermore, the Power button does not turn it off. So without exiting this mode, it will not turn off until the battery runs dead. So when Service mode is in effect, the Power button does not work.
Finally, none of the buttons have any effect in Service mode, except for the ones needed to exit this mode. E.g. The speaker won’t pair with any devices. And as mentioned, the Power button does not switch it off either.
How to Turn On Service Mode
This is what you may have done by accident. To turn on this Service mode, power up the speaker first. And then press the Bluetooth and Play-Pause buttons at the same time. Hold them in until the speaker powers OFF. This which usually takes ten seconds or so. This mode is now active.
Find these buttons pointed out in the next picture. Note that you can enter this mode as long as the speaker is ON. It doesn’t matter whether external power is present or not.
JBL Boombox 2 Power Button Not Working: How to Fix
Now you can restore proper operation by disabling this mode. Note that as long as there’s enough battery energy, you won’t need the adapter to switch off Service mode. But you can connect the adapter if you wish.
- So, connect your speaker to AC power and turn on the speaker if it’s not ON already. Once it is running in this mode, you won’t be able to turn it off until you leave Service mode.
- Then, with the Power button glowing, press the Pairing and Play-Pause button combination. Hold that in for ten seconds or so, until the unit powers off.
- Then, normal speaker operation returns at the next power up.
Finally, at this point, the Power button should work again, whether or not you connect the AC adapter.